Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Mom's quick fix.

Beefaroni - A favorite of hungry kids everywhere. This was one of my mom's "instant" dinners in the days before pre-packaged food.

To prepare:

Brown 2 pounds lean ground beef and drain. Return to skillet. Add one can 26.5 ounces of spaghetti sauce or 1 quart jar of home canned tomatoes. (If you are using store bought sauce, add a teaspoon of sugar and 1/4 teaspoon of baking soda. The baking soda will neutralize the acid in the tomatoes.) Season as desired.

Meanwhile prepare 1/2 box of macaroni or your favorite pasta product. (I cooked 3 cups of dry shells.) When done, rinse pasta well and add to meat sauce. Heat through.

In 30 minutes or less you have dinner for 5 adults or 2 teenage boys. Total cost under $9.00, depending on the price of beef of course. Enjoy!

4 comments:

Quilts And Pieces said...

Yup, pasta like that is a staple at our house!

Knot Garden said...

That looks very tasty. I'm hungry just looking at it.
Beautiful quilt on your previous post:)

Cheryl said...

I think we had a recipe like this when I was a kid!! Love your quilt..don't you hate when you have to rip out!! Just found your blog and it is great.

Anonymous said...

This does sound yummy. We had almost the exact same thing for dinner last night. I have never tried adding soda. I'll have to give it a go next time I make this.