I was researching color ideas on the website at the International Quilt Study Center when I came upon this lovely gem. (http://www.quiltstudy.org/)The estimated date is 1850-1870 and it is believed to have come from Vermont.
If only I had a time machine, meeting this quilter would be high on my list. Such a vibrant spirit she must have had. I imagine this was a person prone to adventuresome ideas in an age when women were restricted socially, politically, financially, and especially in style of dress. Can you imagine what it was like to sit in front of a quilting frame in a corset? No thank you!
Whomever she was, her spirit soared in color and thank goodness for it.
Until then, keep stitchin' . . . .
7 comments:
Oh my gosh!! That's beautiful, intricate and I love the colors! I'm trying to figure out the pattern - I'd love to try to draft that and make one. Love it!
Hi San, what a gorgeous quilt! And I love the creative way she finished the border.
A great use of scrap and yardages...you're absolutely right, she'd be fun to meet in person.
Love the Firecrackers too! Hugs, Finn
Ooooh, what a stunner! Thanks for sharing, so inspiring.
Sometimes, seeing dozens of quilts at a time, kinda numbs us.
This one, loaded slowly, and I just gasped at its beauty. Thanks for the photo.
Ditto on all the above! Magnificent quilt! I also like the simplicity of yours--very nice!
I always wonder about the quiltmaker when I see an aged quilt. I am amazed at the challenges they overcame and still had time to piece. Thank You for sharing.
Oh my! I LOVE this one too!
Post a Comment