Monday, January 7, 2008

The Chicken Egg Quilt

An article on chicken eggs in a Martha Stewart magazine was the incentive for this quilt. Yes, really.


At the time, Martha was raising a type of chicken that layed a lovely pale aqua egg. From that color, she went on to design a line of paint. I loved the color so much, I used a similar hue in this top, which I made in 1993. Then, while on a business trip to Colorado in 1994, I purchased the wool batting at Harriet Hargrave's quilt shop.


The black border has a feather wreath from one of my favorite stencils. I guess it's queen size and the first big quilt that I've finished for myself in a very long time. It's out on the line right now drying so I can put it on my bed tonight.

So others will be inspired, I thought I'd pose the question of, "what is the oldest project that you are currently working on?"

Until then, keep stitchin' . . . . .

12 comments:

corry said...

Wow, the strong solid colours the pattern, stunning!

Joyce said...

Beautiful. My oldest project is a hand quilted Double Irish Chain that has been on the go for over a year. It is curently standing in a corner where I had to put it during a renovation. I need to get back at it since it's nearly finished.

Susan Tidwell said...

I love it! The bright colors are very inspiring, great for winter. I have one that I pull out every year or so around this time...maybe this year will be the last! I was planning to post about this tomorrow, thanks for the inspiration!

Cheryl M. said...

Wow great looking quilt. You must be very happy to have it done. The longest project that I have going is a afgan stitch afgan that I think I started about 10 years ago. I might get it done in the next couple of days.

Meredith said...

Lovely quilt! Oldest project I have a large star block that I made in a class about 8 or 9 years ago. Everything else is within the last year. I just can never decide what to do with that UFO.

*karendianne. said...

supercalifragilisticexpialidocious!

Need I say more?

Jeanne said...

It's a gorgeous quilt!

Diane said...

I love your blog. I wanted to tell you that I love your quilts.

Idaho Quilter said...

The solids are stunning, a real show stopper and I love the name.
The oldest project that I am working on is Friendship Star, I made the top in 1999. I am hand quilting it, I called it "Workin through the blues" I worked on it while going through a divorce. I guess that is why it was put away for so long. MY blues have been over for a long time,so time to finish it.

Knot Garden said...

You do some wonderful things with colour. Your quilts are almost like mosaics. What a great achievement. I love the firecrackers quilt as well:)

Anonymous said...

You know, quilting is advanced geometry to me. I love to cut and piece the fabric and then ... I stop!

I gave Cher (Marathon Quilter) several tops and she finished them and donated them to Wrap Them in Love.

Is that cheating? I use up my stash and restock it quite frequently.

Best Wishes,
Cindy

Tonya Ricucci said...

I've obviously gotten too far behind in reading your blog. This is gorgeous. I absolutely love it. excellent job.