What happens when there are left over pieces of different widths and you need a quilt in a hurry?This is one of those ideas for the times that your brain is too tired, but your fingers are itchin' to stitch.
Using diagonal seams, sew together similar width strips to form a chain. Cut the chains in to a predetermined length divisible by the number of squares you wish to cut. Sew lengths in to a rectangular unit the width of the squares you wish to cut. From the rectangle unit, cut squares. These in turn are cut into fourths diagonally. Sew 2 HSTs together to form a smaller square.
You can use any size strips so long as they are consistent within each chain. Diagonal seams are used as they are stronger than a straight seam. Prints, plaids, and solids can be used separately or combined. Whatever you have on hand, use it up. The number of and size of the squares you assemble will of course determine the size of the quilt.
Feel free to E-mail me if you have any questions. Until then, keep stitchin' . . . .
12 comments:
That is a great idea - and the diagonal seams give the quilt a really "funky" look about it. Mile a minute blocks but with a twist. I like that. Thanks for the idea!
What a great way to use up a lot of random strips. I think you could even get away with the ugly ones.
wheeee, fun and bright. updated amish.
What a great idea...
What a fun quilt - it reminds me of a kaleidoscope.
A great looking quilt, but it sounds complicated to me... my brain must really be tired!
Love the bright colour in this quick quilt.
Mmmm, fun! Love this.
A great use of solids, looks amish, you have so many wonderful quilt ideas all I ahve to do is look at your blog for inspiration any time.
Hi San, I really like it! And how fast you got that one together. It reminds me of Bonnie's Strip Twist at Quiltville, but she uses 2.5" strips only. I like that yours are random widths..covers more of our assorted scraps that way. I love the brightness of it...great job!
Hugs, Finn
You're coming up always with the most beautiful quilts!! On a day I will give this a try! Beautiful!!
LOL at first I thought *WHAT*...but then decided OK this makes sense! This would be a great way to use up those odd scraps and strips that I am tossing into a scrap tub...because you could piece scraps together to make the strips ~ RIGHTTTTT??
I like your blog, very creative and lots of variation...hope you don't mind that I am visiting!! Barb in PA
Post a Comment