I don't know about you, but I've been watching the news all summer. And like you, every time I go to get groceries, it seems something has increased in price. I could do the ostrich dance and stick my head in the sand, but instead I decided to prepare. Didn't granny always say prepare for the worst and hope for the best? At my local flea market is "produce guy". He sells stuff by the bag. Last weekend I found 4 peppers for $1.00. Now they weren't top quality, but they freeze well. So I bought 4 bags and proceded to chop and vacuum seal. Within 30 minutes, I bagged 2, 3, and 4 cup quantities. It's nice knowing I'll have the ingredients for spaghetti sauce or pepper steak and I won't have to go out in the cold icky weather to shop, spend $187.00 on gas (if it's available), and twice as much for produce!
What will you be freezing for winter?
Until then, keep stitchin' . . .
4 comments:
Great idea. I have never frozen peppers before - but it would be handy to have in the freeze. Jim will often buy the red peppers and make smoked paprika from them and then we will vacuum pack and freeze that. We grow tomatoes in the summer on the deck and then freeze the whole and just take them out for sauces and such when we need them.
Let's hope all this gloom and doom of the economy ends soon - it is starting to get worrying.
Back to basics, a good idea. I love your header photo! Porch rockers and quilts, it doesn't get much better than that.
It is frightening what is happening and I do believe it is going to get much worse (hope I am wrong). I make up big batches of tomato sauce and freeze in small butter tubs, bake pumpkin then scoop and seal and freeze. I have also done some acorn squash, yellow squash and zucchini. Also discovered a store in town that sells bulk items for an inexpensive price and am going to start stocking up on items found in there, plus other items as I run across them. It is great to have all of these items on hand, especially if things continue to worsen.
I've been canning both tomatoes and peaches. I already have the creamed corn, green beans and beets set up on the shelves. In the freezer is 1/4 of a beef and 1/2 of a hog with the nooks and crannies filled with frozen zucchini (4 gals!). I am such a throwback.
Post a Comment