Tuesday, August 20, 2013

"When bunnies begin to burrow, winter must be on it's way."


Which is one of the reasons I cleaned the pantry tonight.  Yup, more inventory.

Not everyone was raised in an area where heavy snowfall was prevalent.  Not everyone grew up to the sound of clanking tire chains on ice locked roads.  And not everyone got to ski, sled, and ice skate on the weekend.

But I did, thank goodness.  And part of my winter genetics is preparedness.

I like to have enough stuff in the house so when ol' man winter comes roaring in, a pot of soup is just a few minutes away.  Veggies will be chopped and vacuum sealed in the freezer.  Summer tomatoes will be processed in jars.  And soon the wood pellets will be delivered so I'm ready for frosty mornings.

I'll welcome Fall with a merry heart and a pot of something warm and filling on the stove.

It's a good feeling, enjoying the comforts of home.

It's a better feeling, not having to drive on icy roads.

Until then, keep stitchin' . . .

2 comments:

Carolyn said...

I can't wait for fall...summer is NOT my favorite season!

Lindah said...

I can identify with the pantry mode. Altho I now live in a milder climate where the power seldom goes off and --thankfully-- I don't need to worry about icy roads, I still like to 'put by' some. You never know when winter flu bugs, etc. will put one down for awhile and that easily made pot of soup would be right nice. hmmm, how long does it take a bunny to build a burrow?