Saturday, April 17, 2010

All together now

It's only taken 30 years,

But I can now say that all of my Breininger redware is finally in one place.

The sgraffito piece on the right was my first, I made that in 1980 while visiting. The remaining pieces were made by Lester or his associates.

Redware has a very long history (and you can read more about it on the internet). However, it was named after the red clay indiginous to the region of central Pennsylvania. Unlike thrown pottery, the clay is rolled out like piecrust and formed over a wooden mold. Then it is trimmed, cured, decorated, and fired. A lengthy process to be sure.


The blue/tan pieces are turned and were made by Susan Freeman Brown. I would like to purchase more for my collection. Unfortunately, I've had difficulty determining where she is now selling. If anyone sees her work or knows how I can contact her directly, please let me know.

Until then, keep stitchin' . . .

5 comments:

BitnByAQuiltingBug said...

Good things come to those who wait! Beautiful display!

Melanie said...

Beautiful pieces... worth the wait....

Quilts And Pieces said...

Oh they are all wonderful! But the star plate is my FAVORITE! I got an awesome oval dish a couple of years ago in lancaster that I just love. It is my treasure!

Lori said...

A very pretty display!

Floss said...

I love pottery, very nice display