Sunday, October 26, 2008

Weekend adventures

We have had the most beautiful fall weekend. High 60's with lots of sunshine. Just look at the view from my back porch. Fall colors are really hitting their peak and dropping fast.

If you are a woodsman or know a woodsman, you probably recognize this tool as a froe. It's designed to peel the bark off of logs if you just happen to be building a log cabin.

My dad gave me this one. No telling how old it is. But when the baby copperhead snake decided to show up in my basement this evening, the 4" blade came in very handy. Not that I enjoy killing any creature, far from it; however, the princess puppy was lying not 6 feet away. And you probably don't know this, but baby copperheads carry the full amount of venom that adult ones do. They won't kill you, but it's not a pleasant experience being bit by one, or so I've read.

Since Friday night I've been attempting to come up with an alternate block in coordinating colors for the "basket case." I've played with green ideas . . . .

and red ideas. . . . and even blue. But nothing is working out. So the blocks will go in a baggie for a bit, simmering at the back of my mind. However, if you have any pictures you'd like to send my way of baskets with other blocks, feel free. I can always use a good idea.
Until then, keep stitchin' . . . .

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like that red background with those blocks!

Carol said...

OMG a baby copperhead...you are amazing!

Idaho Quilter said...

Oh my goodness, I hate snakes I wouldn't be able to kill it. I would have ran screaming until I found someone to kill it for me. But dear if there was 1 baby might there be more? I think the red is good, Just maybe not that one. You'll know it when you see it.

Anonymous said...

Pretty basket blocks. I like the pattern and also the light background that you chose.

Elaine Adair said...

At first glance I thought the first photo of the woods WAs a quilt. The photo is not clear and looks just like a quilted piece of art! Lovely. I think my browser is not reading your photos well, but the error results in something more stunning!

Susan Tidwell said...

Eeek! snakes alive! If this was the baby, where is the mama? I like the solid red in the post from the day before... Have a good one!

sewprimitive karen said...

Way to go, Pioneer Woman, you protected the livestock from snakes. Not sure I could froe a snakey to death but I hope I could be as brave as you. I like that green background, it's different.

Floss said...

I like the scale of the green print, I think the red is a good colour, but I find the fabric a little too busy.
I hate snakes, I am glad to now live where I don't come in contact with them.

Paula, the quilter said...

You go girl! Protect your own.

MARCIE said...

Love the baskets. I always love red, but the green is good too.

Stephanie D said...

The thing is, baby copperheads grow up to be momma copperheads, who have more baby copperheads.

Froe Away!

Edna said...

Yick... I don't like snakes - makes the hair on my neck and arms stand right up! *LOL* Glad you got 'em!! For your basket blocks, I really liked the green. It looks to me like the old timey 'poison' green and could end up looking kinda antiquey. Mind you, I do like those old quilts.