Monday, May 11, 2009

I was simply soooo very excited . . . .

. . . . that I forgot to remember.

Most of this project was in pre-sewn vertical sections in a baggie. I wanted to get it together "speedy quick."

And simply cut a few more 2" x 6" light rectangles to assemble the remaining vertical rows.

Without paying attention to "THE RULE" . . . . block "B" MUST match block "A" . . . in this case in height . . . . which is 6-1/8th.
The new light rectangles I put in were almost 1/4" off . . . each and every one. This caused unmatched seams and extensive buckling in the middle of the vertical rows. (very heavy sigh).
I don't post about all of my mistakes; however, I especially wanted the newbie quilters out there to realize that the A and B block rule never changes. . . . . no matter how excited one gets about a project.
Until then, keep stitchin' . . . .

6 comments:

pwl said...

Thank you for the reassurance that I'm not the only one who makes mistakes. LOL

It looks awesome so far. :)

YankeeQuilter said...

Eeck....I hate when those rules creep up behind you....

Floss said...

Its always the simple things that catch us out.

Gari in AL said...

This is why blogland is like a guild, we share our "experiences." Thanks,

Dorothy said...

It's good to know I'm not the only one that makes these "goofs", but frustrating for you!

pwl said...

I'm curious - were the rectangles 2" x 6"? I've tried to do the math - rather unsuccessfully so far. If you're using 2" squares (implied by the width of the rectangle), wouldn't that make the required length 5"? And is this a quilt of your own design? It's truly lovely.