Saturday, April 25, 2009

Every quilt tells a story

Waaaay back in 1989, I designed and began teaching this quilt. The class took place in a small, but wonderful shop in the village of Stone Mountain, Georgia. You know the kind of place I mean, full of new ideas and cheerful quilters, and just a block over from the Italian restaurant. A place to find fun fabric and meet up with a new or old friend to head out to lunch.

The very first time I taught this class there was a full house and I was nervous. . . . but boy did we laugh. One of the students was my soon to be forever friend B.C., a nurse who did not have extensive quilting experience, but a joyful spirit nonetheless.

Years later, before she and her family moved further south, she gave me the sections of her project and asked me to finish them. . . . which I finally did . . . about 4 moves and another state later in 2003.

Quilting really is the tie that binds no matter how often one moves. I truly can't imagine a world without quilters and forever friends.

Until then, keep stitchin' . . . .

9 comments:

Carol said...

Wonderful quilt and a really wonderful story. I love your new header.

antique quilter said...

great quilt I have seen an antique like this , always wanted to make it too
I have a collection of 1 1/2" squares now I just may have to make it

beautiful quilting

Finn said...

Hi San, love the new header! Great picture *VBS* And what a great example of quilts spanning history, especially OUR own individual history. Altho the design is not a personal favorite of mine, I do admire your work and all the quilting...great job on finishing it up! Hugs, Finn

Pam said...

Very pretty, look at all that quilting on it. You did a lovely job finishing it.

I love the new picture in you header!

YankeeQuilter said...

I used to go into that shop all the time! I lived in Alpharetta from 88-92 but the company I worked for also had offices in Stone Mountain...a good excuse to hit the quilt store! Some of my favorite pottery came from the shop across the street on the corner!

Dorothy said...

You are so right, quilters make the best friends! I have made some wonderful friends in the quilting classes I have taught.
I love your new blog background and header.

Melanie said...

Great story-- love the quilt... photo looks like it was taken from a porch *S*. Classic colors that never seem to go outof style.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful quilt and inspiring story.

Betty J in OKC said...

I wish I could make a quilt like that! Do you still carry the pattern??