Wednesday, January 7, 2009

No clue quilting

My second quilt. Begun in 1974, completed around 1979 or 1980. The pink and yellow fabric came from Grant's back when folks shopped "down town". Does anyone else remember Grant's?

This was hand quilted using polyester batting. At the time, I did not know any better and had absolutely no idea what I was doing. (Please don't tell anyone that I ever used polyester. It will be our little secret.)

The gingham check was from my eighth grade graduation dress. The brown print from a dress I made when I was 14 and the blue print was a skirt my sister had made. I guess it's time I made a label for this poor quilt.

Until then, keep stitchin' . . .

5 comments:

YankeeQuilter said...

I think there are many of us with a polyester batting quilt lurking in our past!

Pam said...

I was just going to say that I too have a few polyester quilts around. Mostly baby quilts as I just started quilting when the cotton and cotton/poly batting came out. I like the cotton/poly batting. Hobbs Heirloom is my favourite.

It is nice to look back on the quilt and see fabric from your past though. I don't have any quilts like that.

Kim said...

We all used poly at one time or another...no shame in that.
I have at least 2 here.

Idaho Quilter said...

Down town, when my 8 year old GS visited last summer, I told him to get ready so we could go "to town". He said but aren't we already "in town".

Rose Marie said...

.... and I still use polyester batting!! I have tried cotton and a combo of poly/cotton and don't like it for hand quilting. So, I'll be sticking to polyester for a while until I find something else that I prefer.