Monday, January 5, 2009

Memories

This is one of the very first quilts I taught at local quilt shops and at workshops in Alabama. I think the most difficult concept for students at that time was working "on point" using side setting triangles and learning the math for cutting them. The border is something I invented and named "variegated" after a type of yarn my mom used. It was a very unique concept at the time.

Considering all of the quilt software, pattern accessibility, rulers in all shapes and sizes that we now have, I smile when I see this and know "we've come a long way baby!"

9 comments:

Nancy Anne said...

I really, really love that quilt. The colors are gorgeous and that "varigated" border is neat. I might have to try this one myself. Thanks for sharing!

Melanie said...

I love blocks on point--- but I'm a liner thinker and it's not always easy for me either....I love pieced borders.

~Joan said...

Scrappiness at its best. Another one to add to the list of future projects. The border treatment is great.

~Joan

Paula, the quilter said...

The colors in this quilt are so soft and pretty. I like the border, it reminds me of the quilt(s) I've seen on first Libby's and then Finn's blogs.

Anonymous said...

Quilts on white backgrounds are my favorites. I know there's a formula for figuring the setting triangles for blocks on point but I can never remember what it is...can you help?
This is a gorgeous quilt!

Finn said...

A very pretty and happy quilt San, I love it! Probably a timeless classic at its best. Those make me smile also.
Love the new blue and muslin in progress, sometimes you just "gotta" start something new.
Congrats on all the pinning and so happy you are feeling better at last. Hugs for a Happy New Year in 2009, Finn

YankeeQuilter said...

Very pretty! We used a variegated boarder like yours on our charity quilt a couple years ago. Lots of folks commented on it!

Kim said...

Very simple yet very beautiful.
And yes all the tools we have now compared to my grandmother with her cereal box templates etc....

Anonymous said...

I love this quilt, so simple yet so beautiful. Thanks for sharing. Since you taught this quilt, do you by any chance offer the pattern? I would be interested in purchasing it.