Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Found treasures

There are indeed challenges in decorating when most of your seasonal items remain packed in storage in another state. However, I unearthed this piece of plaid wool and decided to use it as a tablecloth. It was purchased years ago to make a skirt. Luckily, by thinking outside the box, I was able to move on to plan B.

The 50 cent silver tray holding my Autumn scented candle is from the thrift store. It was dust gray when I brought it home, but I followed the web information on tarnish removal, then used some additional silver polish with a bit of elbow grease to make it shiny new. It's so much fun using found treasures.

Until then, keep stitchin' . . .

9 comments:

Floss said...

Love the way the leaves look on this. Also think the last two quilt tops are a lot of fun.

Carol said...

That's great info...I have a silver tea service that my mom gave me...whenever she comes over she reminds me that it really needs to be polished...I'll give this a try before she's here for Thanksgiving. Thanks!

Finn said...

Hi San, your autumn display and helpful himts and good ideas are wonderful! Love the idea of using the wool as a tablecovering. The tray is really a lovely treasure. Keep stitching! Hugs, Finn

Brenda said...

Wonderful design; I have a blast at garage sales looking for those type of treasures. Thanks for sharing.

Melanie said...

What is it about plaid tablecloths that just make my heart jump!?!?!Great idea...I've been looking for a new covering...

Susan Tidwell said...

Looks very festive at your house!

Paula, the quilter said...

I use silver & silver plated trays under my house plants. That way I can just pick the tray up and take it to the sink to bathe the dust off the leaves. Plus it just looks nice. Love re-purposing the plaid wool that way. And those placemats are 'to die for'.

Pam said...

That is very "Autumn" Did you make the big leaves? That's a great idea for placemats.

Anonymous said...

Hi San
Your plaid table setting is very festive. It is hard to believe that today is Fall with the awesome NC weather we had!