Do you remember when you turned 5 and instigated some clever piece of mischief you believed you could actually get away with? Your mom called you a "smartypants," but your grandmom called you adorable and clever because you reminded her so much of "your" mother. This quilt is my version. And you would certainly think that in the intervening years, I would have learned a thing or two.
Sometimes frugality has it's rewards and sometimes it teaches us a new lesson. Yes, using up the left over tote bag pieces was a good thing. Using up my leftover batting pieces and expecting my numb hands to quilt over 3 layers of them was not. Making the backing out of a lot of older xmas prints that needed to move on was a great idea, but deciding that I could stipple in many directions was not. Bubbles in the backing happen, especially when there are many seams. (Don't worry, I redid that section.)

Ending up with a very pretty, very heavy quilt is a good thing. Mailing it off to dear friends far away is even better. Every quilt story has a happy ending. They will love the quilt, it will keep them very warm, and I will find more joy in giving than keeping. Smartypants indeed!

8 comments:
Just gorgeous! I love one patch quilts, I love red quilts. Your friends will love it.
Well done! It's destined to become a treasured heirloom.
It's a beauty for sure...love those red and white quilts *VBS* Hugs, Finn
I love the color RED.Your quilt is a treasure for sure. I just found your blog, have enjoyed reading it. I too am from NC. A little further East. Come visit my blog, would love to hear from fellow quilters from NC.
Another beauty! Your site is inspiration to me, thanks for all the great pictures and tips.
It turned out so gorgeous! I love all scrappy quilts and yours is a sure winner in my book. Great quilt!
I can't resist a red and white quilt! It's a beauty San!
That is a nice & simple way to use rectangles! (I have managed to complicate that shape...Maybe my kittied will be nice & simple like this - probably not.)
Post a Comment