Wednesday, October 10, 2007

A Recipe, A Contest . . .

But not a recipe contest.

For today's menu, we have Ham and Egg Pie.

When my mom was President of the United Methodist's Women committee (and chief menu planner) she found this recipe to serve at the men's breakfast. It was not called quiche then. You may call it whatever you like. I call it delicious and quick! (Recipe at bottom of post).


Just for grins, I thought you might enjoy seeing my pincushion collection. After all, pincushions are like Lay's Potato Chips, you definitely will want more than one. It never fails that when you are working on your cutting table, your pincushion is over by your sewing machine. Or upstairs, or in your work basket . . . . (You know what I'm talking about.)

One day the light bulb finally went off and I said, "aha, why can't I have more than one?" So I've been making and collecting them ever since. I especially love homemade ones. Although the wooly purple egg, which I bought in Florida, is so tough in the middle I rarely use it. Now the one on the glass candlestick pedestal I made recently. It is stuffed with sheep's fleece that I bought from a local weaver who also raises sheep, and it keeps my pins very sharp indeed. The red plaid apple came from Ohio (made by local Amish ladies). The light colored basket was found at Joanne's Fabrics. And the brown basket was made by a local gal who sells them at a yearly craft fair nearby. (The log cabin background fabric I recently found at Susan's shop, but sorry folks, she's all out.)


And yes, I was serious when I mentioned a contest. You see these two well loved chickens? Well, they do not have names and are in desparate need of one. I know, I know, with my love of fiction, you'd think I could come up with something appropriate. However, my brain is tired so I'm leaving it up to you.

Please leave a comment and submit your favorite names. On Saturday, October 20th, I'll pick a winner. And what will you win?

This lovely lady right here. Whom I did name. She's Aunt Bertha and she rules the roost. Bertha wears a steel apron, carries a wooden spoon, and knows how to use it. When she cackles, the whole neighborhood wakes. (Of course, you can make up your own story.)


I'm going to leave you with my version of my mom's recipe. I'll be taking a few days off from blog land as there are some things I need to catch up on. Not to worry, I'll be back with more fun and adventure.

Until then, keep stitchin' . . . .

HAM AND EGG PIE

4 eggs (I use 6-8 for a fuller pie)
1/4 teaspoon pepper
2 cups cooked ham (cubed 1/2")
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 cup milk
1 cup grated sharp cheese (I use a medium sharp and monterey jack blend.)

Mix the above items. Pour into an unbaked pie shell. Bake at 425 degrees for 35 minutes OR 375 degrees for 45 minutes. Enjoy!

11 comments:

Susan Tidwell said...

Love your pin cushions! I will be thinking of names for the contest, sounds like fun.

SuBee said...

LOL -- Henny Pinny, of course!

Quilts And Pieces said...

Hmmm, is she the Big Bertha mother of the other too? They might need to be Beuhla and Betty.

Anonymous said...

These two cuties could be ....
MABEL and ALMA... why not ? LOL

NADINE

Knot Garden said...

Your pincushions look lovely all together. I like pincushions because they are such an instant gratification project. I have them all over the house. I'm not very good at thinking up names though! I'll have to think about that.

Brigitte said...

Voodoo twins - smile
greetings from Brigitte, German in Poland

Jeanne said...

How about Thelma and Louise?
Jeanne :)

Finn said...

Hi San, thank you for the birthday wishes, and the additional people who said it also *VBS*
Love the suitcase of squares idea, and you are absolutely right in that it's the best possible representation of yourself as an individual. After all, what does it mean to say "I have ALL the blanky-blanky reproduction fabrics? So does the store and nearly every other quilter! Good for you for thinking of this great personal idea.
Love the faded Churn Dash and even more faded Blue Irish Chain..both are are great and look well loved.
Don't stay away too long, Hugs, Finn

~Niki~ said...

Needle Nellie
Perla Pin House
Prickin Little ;)

sewkalico said...

Just found your blog, hopping from one to another.. love the Elvis ornaments... and your pincushions are lovely...
Here are a my names LOL:
Bizzy Lizzy and Razzy Tazzy.

Unknown said...

hey san,
I always love getting your emails, sure does brighten things up a bit. Looks like your keeping busy. you do such fabulous work, i also like how you added recipes in with the mix. Love ya lots!