Friday, October 5, 2007

Oldie, but Goodie

Churn dash has got to be one of my all time favorites. (Yes, I know, I have a lot of those.) However, it seems that no matter what size block, or color, or even placement you decide on, they all come out beautifully.

This treasure has held it's color better than the D.I.C. It is 18 years old now and I keep thinking, "why don't I make this pattern more often?" Well it could be because I have so many others to finish up. Duhhh, silly me. It's so simple and so nice to teach to beginning quilters.




In order to make the back more interesting, I chose to quilt the looped star pattern on the churn dash block and the feathered wreath on the alternating plain block. The half circle pattern done along the borders was made by tracing along the bottom half of a large thread cone. Back then, I used whatever was handy for templates. Cool whip lids also became one of my favorite pattern tools.

Until then, keep stitchen' . . . .

5 comments:

Carolyn said...

Another beauty...I still believe the simplest quilts are the best. I love churn dashes too!

Mary Johnson said...

Pretty! Both the Irish Chain and the Churn Dash.

I never realized I liked blue until I looked at my stash a couple years after I started quilting. I had twice as much blue fabric as any other color.

Cheryl said...

Boy I love two color quilts! The quilting is exceptional. Think I need to make a Churn Dash!

Knot Garden said...

The simple patterns are so often the most effective. Keep showing the old quilts - they are beautiful.

SuBee said...

Aren't those both just a hug from Grandma? I love that worn, drapy, soft cuddle of a quilt. That's why we do what we do!