Monday, October 8, 2007

No magic wand needed.

I'd like to begin today's post by saying Happy Birthday to Finn. If you have a moment why not drop by her blog and wish her a Great Day!

Some of you may be wondering how I can possibly piece a quilt top so quickly. Well okay, yes, some are done faster than others. However, awhile back when I was teaching in a 3-state range, while working full time and doing commissioned quilts, I learned the art of fabric preparedness. Basically this means I spent a lot of time prepping and cutting pieces. From pretty much every single fabric that I buy. Yes, this takes time. But, and here's the glimmer, it pays off if you're doing quilts or blocks with same size pieces. Also, you can do it in stages and slowly build up your collection. No magic wand, no marathon shopping sprees, simple progress in slow degrees.

This is also a wonderful way to learn about color. I realize that you can now go out and purchase fully coordinated jelly rolls, charm packs, quilt kits, etc. And . . . there are many lovely pre-selected fabric groupings out there, believe me I love them too. However, if you really want to learn, begin by working with every single color you own.

One way to do that is with your fabric library. Here is a picture of my 2-1/2" square library. Well most of them. Many blues are in a separate box. Yes, it's a suitcase; meaning it's portable, fits my lifestyle, and only cost $3.00 at the thrift store. But from it, I can work with a vast array of squares easily.

And when I want to play in pastels, I simply pull out all light to mediums in soft baby tones. Working on my design wall, I place each one. It may not look like it at first glance, but this piece is for advanced color work. Balancing light, medium, and dark; soft and bright; white or slightly muddy. No, I don't need an expansive collection of Aunt Grace's, Aunt Sadie's, Cousin Bertha's, or Yosemite Sam's. Some would be nice, yes. But this is my collection, no one else's.

It represents who I am simply by its portrayal of color.

Until then, keep stitchin' . . . .

16 comments:

SuBee said...

You are my hero -- that's awesome!! I'm guessing those are 2-1/2" squares? Boy - having those handy ensures there's always something ready to go --- hmmmmmm......

Anonymous said...

YEAAAH ! THANKS for writing that ! Still not exactly the way I'm getting organized, but for sure that's how I feel and see it !
Fabric ranges assortments are certainly handy and time savers, but then where's the real effort ? And, somehow, it also makes me feel considered as a baby child... To le, the real creativity is to make something GREAT with what you have on hand, and with YOUR choice......

Grateful ((HUGS)) and smiles !
NADINE

Annie said...

What a beautiful quilt. I love it!

Susan Tidwell said...

You are soooo organized! I love that. And I love that quilt! Thanks for the tips.

Melanie said...

If it represents who you really are... I'd say You're beatuiful....
Have fun with the patches...

Quilts And Pieces said...

Well I saw that suitcase of fabric and thought maybe it was running away from home!

Anonymous said...

This is a lovely quilt and you are so organized!

MARCIE said...

Yummy looking quilt! Are you really that organized? I can never get that motivated!

MARCIE said...

Oh I went back and looked again and saw CHICKENS! I think my screen must be darker that most because stuff doesn't always show up well. Very cute!

Knot Garden said...

That suitcase full of squares looks so inviting. Colour is a fascinating subject. If that quilt represents who you are I'd say you were multi-faceted:)

Jeanne said...

Thanks for the great advice! Your suitcase looks awesome. I'm feeling the need to cut soon. :-)

Patch said...

Your organisation is astounding! Thanks for the note on my blog about the neo counter - I seem to have installed it poperly - I think it is a fun idea.

Mary Johnson said...

That's very organized - I also use many fabrics from my stash when making a scrap quilt but I tend to cut for 2-3 at a time versus having a variety of sizes already cut. Of course, when working from my strings I just grab and start sewing, cutting some additional fabrics as needed.

YankeeQuilter said...

Sooo fun and sooo organized. Love how scrappy the quilt came out. I agonize over my fabric choice way too much. (I do have two projects in a picnic basket though that travels with me...a bit organized!)

Dannielle said...

I love that quilt!

I'm developing a *thing* for 2 1/2" squares. They've wriggled their way into my heart. They're just perfect. Not too big...not too small.

Love that border fabric you've chosen too!

sewprimitive karen said...

Love so many things in your recent posts. Bertha and friend, the suitcase for fabric, and Big Blue is very nice, too!