I made this quilt waaaaay back in the summer of 1995 while I was in college working on my certificate for medical transcription. As many of you know, summer school is a shorter session, which means you have to cram more stuff in to your brain in less time.To say I was majorly stressed would not be putting too fine a point on it. Of course, the main culprits were two intense classes, one of which was anatomy. For those fellow medical majors out there, you know what I mean. To top it all off, the teacher could not teach. Really. Oh she tried, but simply was not capable. As a matter of fact, I remember having to go to the dean's office about it. But I digress.
Through teaching and personal experience, I've learned that one way to deal with stress is with the use of color. Many, many colors. The more colors, the better. Sort and trim and sew and place as much as possible. Let the fabric speak for you. Clear your mind of all clutter and focus on color. Follow a pattern if you want to. This one happens to be from Little Quilts.
And when you're all done, make sure the label says, "I survived . . . . . . " You'll be a stronger person for it and have a new quilt to boot.
Until then, keep stitchin' . . . . . .
10 comments:
I like the fact that this quilt has a story. Makes it special.
Wow, another beautiful quilt! You really had a busy summer, if you got all this done in addition to your schooling.
Medical transcription? Are you in that field? That is what I do, I am sitting here at home - bare feet and typing - working away (well I am supposed to be working!)
Do you name your quilts? What about the labels, how do you do those? Maybe you could show a picture of the label...
Have a great day, hopefully it will be less stressful than the days remembered in this quilt!
LMAO!!! I'm a survivor of 2 semesters of Anatomy and can totally relate! I had 3 young children at the time and didn't think we would all survive it -- LOVE the quilt and the story!
I love this quilt! Simple yet striking! And of course it makes it more special because it holds a memory!
What a wonderful little quilt. And you certainly did have fun choosing colors and fabrics - and they all come together so beautifully. I just love Little Quilts patterns!
That's a stunning quilt, one of my favourites you've shown so far. Love the way you've put the colours together.
Like all the colours in this quilt, and the story behind it.
I love that quilt, too! It's colorful and scrappy - what could be better?
It's great to have a story to go with it.
That quilt is a fav of mine! I have never made it, but have the pattern! Someday I may still get to it! Also your Country Threads quilts from the same era, if we can call it that. I love their quilts too. Yours turned out great!
That is a great, great quilt.
Post a Comment