Friday, September 14, 2007

Sad Times, Glad Times


Today would have been my mother's 77th birthday.
This photo was taken at the Philadelphia Zoo and one of her sisters is sitting on the right. I can only imagine the laughter they shared that day.
My mother loved to laugh. She had a marvelous, witty sense of humor. But what I remember most was her love of family and the joy she got from cooking for and feeding those around her.
I remember holiday dinners when the house was filled with the smells of fresh baked pie, roasting turkey, steaming hot mashed potatoes, and her special coleslaw. Then company would arrive and there would be more laughter and merriment around the table.
I have her soup pot and you know to this day, I cannot make soup for less than 30 people. So of course I share it with those I love just like she did.
Unfortunately, during her last days, I did not get to visit my mother until she was intubated in the hospital and unable to respond. However, I was there at her passing. She fought a hard battle with asthmatic illness most all of her life, but her inner beauty, strength of character, and integrity will continue to be my goalposts. She set the bar high. I will always remember her smile and her courage. And how to make soup for 30 people.
If you can, call or hug your mothers today. No matter how far away they are.

7 comments:

Carolyn said...

A beautiful tribute to your mother! I love the picture...I can't imagine going to the Philadelphia Zoo in a dress!

Knot Garden said...

A lovely photo - they look as if they were enjoying that day. What nice clothes and hairstyles. Thanks for sharing:)

Fabricfaire said...

Nice memories! I too have my Mom's soup pot, I passed on to a son that is a great cook, he can lift the pot empty or full. I cannot lift it even empty anymore. It is one of those called "Guardian Service". Easily serves 30 also!

Susan Tidwell said...

I am glad you have good memories of your mom, hugs going out to you!

She would be proud of all your quilting!

MARCIE said...

Darling photo! Thanks for sharing such sweet memories!

meggie said...

A beautiful tribute to your lovely mother. My lovely mother passed away a month after her 77th birthday. She suffered from Emphysema, & it was very cruel to her.

Anonymous said...

What a lovely, warm tribute to your mother. I only hope that when I pass I too will leave a legacy as your mother did. I feel very grateful that I have, since her passing, shared soup from her pot. Thanks Sandy for including me in that part of your tribute to your mother. I shall, as you suggested, give my mom an extra hug.