Monday, November 25, 2013

Are you ready for the next QOV challenge?

Yes, I realize it's Thanksgiving week and everyone is rushing around buying out the grocery stores and contacting Aunt Midge for her famous sweet potato pie recipe.  So if you are in charge of cooking the turkey, you can have a hall pass for this week only.

and if your job is walking the poor, nobody-loves-me pup, you get a hall pass too.

But everyone else, I'm counting on you to do a bit of sewing for our soldiers this holiday season. After all, if it weren't for our boys in blue (and khaki) we would not have a home front to come home to now would we?
So get out some light 2" strips and trim the edges even.  Sew into a long chain using a fat 1/4" seem.  The longer the strips the better.  But if you only have short ones, that's okay.

Get out some dark 2" strips.  Try to use several pieces in one color family, say browns, blacks, or greens.  Then cut 47" lengths off of each chain.

Sew a light chain to a dark chain, press.

With the light chain in the middle, sew another dark chain to make a unit of 3.  (No picture available, but I'm sure you can envision it.)

Press unit well and cut into 4-1/2" length and trim to 4-1/2" square.

Wa-lahhh, a speedy rail fence block.
You can make it red, white and blue!  You could even use 2-1/2" strips, but you'll need to adjust the size of your block.

Since I've been busy buying out the grocery store and calling Aunt Midge for her recipe, I've only gotten this far.  But trust me, it's a speedy project.

My friends keep warning me about the "coming storm" and the chance of "SNOW".

This was my view on my way up to work this morning, a.k.a the balcony, and yes indeed, you could see ol' mother nature rolling in.  With a morning temp of 26 degrees, I'm glad to say we're ready for anything.  Except power outage.

Dang, I forgot the batteries!

Until then, keep stitchin' . . . .

1 comment:

Carol said...

Look at that sweet pup! What a great quilt! A very Happy Thanksgiving to you all!