Monday, November 11, 2013

Plaid-A-Thon, Part One


 This QOV project idea is brought to you via Harriet Hargrave's book, "The Art of Classic Quilting Making."
And, of course, Dolly.

You'll notice on page 124, an all plaid quilt using 1-1/2" strips.

My version uses 2" wide strips, which is what I had a lot of.  So I'll be giving all measurements accordingly.

Begin with a dark colored 2-1/2" square.  I chose black.

Forest green, burgundy, or navy blue would work just as well.

From a dark plaid, cut the following:

2 - 2-3/4" long
2 - 5-3/4" long

Assemble according to the picture, creating the center of BLOCK A.  Trim to 5-1/4" square.

For BLOCK B, cut the same pieces from light colored plaid or just plain muslin.

I decided that my quilt will be 7 squares wide by 8 squares long.  Therefore, I'll need 56 squares.

Finished measurement will be around 70" x 80".

I will need 23 squares with light colored centers (light, dark, light rows)

And 23 squares of dark colored centers (dark, light, dark rows).

The finished size of my block, after trimming, when sewn together, will be 10-1/4"

I'll post the next step soon.

Until then, keep stitchin' . . .

2 comments:

Teri said...

Love the idea- wish I had more time to sew. I have quite a stash of shirts tucked away.

Karin said...

you are so wonderfully inspirational