
. . . especially to someone 13 years or younger. Or a parent thinking it was okay to take their child to see that kind of violence.
I've not read the book yet, so I cannot compare the two. However, there were several things in the movie that did not ring true.
One is you cannot eat squirrel or rabbit in warm weather. I'm not sure about birds. Which begs the question as to why Katniss was always hunting, but not fishing? American Indians developed a dam funnel technique in which fish followed an increasingly narrow waterway to make catching them easier.
Another key factor is if the districts had been segregated for 75 years, problems would develop within the gene pool. Case in point, a past history within the Amish communities of a higher percentage of birth defects.
Applachian people have a long history of living off the land. If game were not available, wild plants for food and medicine would be to some degree. Holistic medicine passed down from the Cherokee people is still in practice in this area of the country.
Gardening, seed saving, canning and pickling are also very much in evidence, especially in a suppressed economy.
I could go on and on, but the one major flaw in the movie was how the camera kept swinging around from one spot to the next, making me rather dizzy.
The popcorn was good though.
Until then, keep stitchin' . . .
I've not read the book yet, so I cannot compare the two. However, there were several things in the movie that did not ring true.
One is you cannot eat squirrel or rabbit in warm weather. I'm not sure about birds. Which begs the question as to why Katniss was always hunting, but not fishing? American Indians developed a dam funnel technique in which fish followed an increasingly narrow waterway to make catching them easier.
Another key factor is if the districts had been segregated for 75 years, problems would develop within the gene pool. Case in point, a past history within the Amish communities of a higher percentage of birth defects.
Applachian people have a long history of living off the land. If game were not available, wild plants for food and medicine would be to some degree. Holistic medicine passed down from the Cherokee people is still in practice in this area of the country.
Gardening, seed saving, canning and pickling are also very much in evidence, especially in a suppressed economy.
I could go on and on, but the one major flaw in the movie was how the camera kept swinging around from one spot to the next, making me rather dizzy.
The popcorn was good though.
Until then, keep stitchin' . . .
6 comments:
Not a movie I was interested in seeing but now you have this city kid wondering...why can't you eat a rabbit in warm weather? (I've only ever eaten rabbit at cold weather survival school and at an expensive French restaurant...how is that for opposites!)
I will not see the movie. The fact that it is so popular and so much money was spent on it during its first weekend is very scary. (But then we all know that I become more conservative with every passing year. I just think life is hard enough and tat we do not need to subject our brains and spirits to such abuse.
Thank you for speaking up.
I read the books. Only to see why they are so popular among the younger crowd. Can't say I liked them much. Not sure what all the hoopla was about to tell the truth. I have no desire to see the movie since the whole gladiator "fight to the death" thing is so repugnant. I am dismayed that any parent would take their child to see any movie showing children killing anyone or anything. It certainly doesn't teach any life values I have.
I did not plan on seeing the movie, I could do without all the hype about it. Thanks for the other side.
Having read the books before there was any hype about the movie, simply because my children wanted to read them and I like to know what they are reading, my opinion is very different than yours. Yes there is violence but there is violence in cartoons and Disney movies. This story is fictional and therefore not real. Children these days are not naive, society won't let them be and sheltering them from society will do them no favors later in life. I see no harm in taking your child to an age appropriate film based on a fictional book. My husband and I plan on taking our daughters to this movie next week and I for one, look forward in seeing how they portray the costumes and scenery they describe in the books. Just because there is violence doesn't mean that there isn't some other form of entertainment as well. The story is about friendship and family and courage. I think those are very important values. My children and I had long discussions about the books. They didn't describe long gory scenes of death and carnage, they talked about the relationships among the characters. I think you may be over analyzing this movie with all those facts you stated in your post. This is fiction after all and does not have to be factual. Although there was one thing you said I know to be false. While not a normal part of my diet, I have eaten squirrel, rabbit and all manner of birds in warm weather. If cleaned and prepared properly they can be consumed any time of the year, just like the meat you find in the grocery store. As for the movie and books, I say to each their own. I will continue to allow my children to read anything they can get their hands on from 'Twilight' to 'Jane Eyre' and will encourage them to watch the movies as well. You cannot be a well rounded, educated adult if you limit yourself to only certain types of information, both factual and fictional. Besides sometimes it's all about the fun and that is important too.
I'm reading the books.I love your incite on the movie.... Thanks for sharing.. Still, will probably go see it when the college kids come home--- three cheers for the popcorn....
Post a Comment