Monday, August 29, 2011

Contrary to the east coast,

our weather was picture perfect on Saturday, so we loaded up the coolers and set off for . . .


the Mennonite Farmer's Market in Delano, Tennessee.



This is one busy market in the middle of pretty much nowhere off of a road called Needle Eye. (I know you'll love that.) The trick is to be there when they open as shelves empty fast.


The homemade bread was delicious. The plums, tomatoes, peppers, and cantelope were so fresh and crisp they sparkled.




Driving home I took pictures of the beautiful Ocoee Gorge, home to the 1996 summer Olympic competition. The river was full of rafters and boy was it a lovely day for it.




The board on top of the bus is to hold the rafts. They go and pick up the rafters at the end of their run.



By Sunday evening, I had processed 7 quarts and 15 pints of tomatoes, onions, peppers, thyme, and basil. Chopping everything by hand made for a long day, but it will be worth it when the snow flies.


Despite the busy weekend, I stayed tuned to Yahoo news and thought often of all of my east coast friends and family. Thank goodness, everyone is safe and well.


Until then, keep stitchin' . . .

7 comments:

Carol said...

What positively perfect weekend!

Anonymous said...

Oh sounds like a fun weekend!

Dartford Warbler said...

Your photos from the Amish settlement are like a look into the past. What an interesting visit.

Susan Tidwell said...

sounds like a perfect day! yum!

Melanie said...

Prayers to your family and friends... Love the [icsfrom your trip...

Purple Pam said...

What a great trip! Did dolly get to accompany you on your journey?

Dora, the Quilter said...

I was in Delano earlier in the summer when we spent several weeks in East TN. I didn't even know about the Amish market, and I'm so sad that I missed it!