Stewed tomatoes and tomato vegetable medley: 23 pints, 10 quarts.
Bread and butter pickles: 21 jelly jars, 5 pints, 2 quarts.
Times I washed my hands: 274
Times I washed dishes: Lost count!
The left over veggies were chopped into bits and layered with salt for chow chow. I've never made this before, but will use the same vinegar / sugar / spice combination for bread and butters.
The Ball Blue Book has a recipe entitled "garbage relish"! It includes everything left in the garden such as green tomatoes, peppers, onions, etc. You'd chop it up and make relish with it.
Maybe folks still do. But, since I don't care for relish, I'll try chow-chow. Same principle, different brine recipe. Things can get interesting in my kitchen! Wanna come for supper - LOL.
Here's Dolly wondering just when, if ever, I'm going to leave the kitchen.
Since the rain came, I did not get any more exterior painting done as planned. Nor did the pup get a bath, but there's always next weekend.
Since the rain came, I did not get any more exterior painting done as planned. Nor did the pup get a bath, but there's always next weekend.
Oh wait, I've ordered 2 more boxes of tomatoes . . . ut oh.
Until then, keep stitchin' . . .
6 comments:
You have been busy....love your header photo
Those jars look wonderful!
Smart Girl! You will really be thankful come winter!
It is a sure sign of fall when you bring out the canning jars!! Have a good weekend canning. I hope Dolly is a big help :))
Dolly looks like she is ready and waiting to help you with that big job. Wow! You were a busy woman on your vacation weekend.
I'm there for anything with the tomoatoes, but I don't do pickles or relish or chow chow!
Post a Comment