Monday, April 18, 2011

It's been a rough week.



Last Wednesday evening, I let Dolly out to roam in the yard a bit. This is something she's done many times before. She stays close by, doesn't bother anybody and enjoys dangling her paws over the porch step sniffing the evening breeze.

When I went out to check on her, I saw her by the front porch, wagging her tail in a friendly greeting to another dog, but could not see the dog. Then came the growls and the terror.

I grabbed the big shovel and ran down the steps. Sure enough, my neighbor's pit bull, who is known to thoroughly dislike other dogs had Dolly by the face. Whacking it on the back did no good and then they took off into the dark.

It seemed like an hour, but it was only a few minutes. All I heard from my neighbor was "I got 'em." No, I'm sorry is Dolly okay. No checking the next day to see how bad the injuries were.

No nothing.

When I calmed down, I called the sheriff, who came out right away, saw all the blood, and took my statement.

Then I took pictures. This was difficult, but it's important. Everything needs to be documented.

The next day I took her to the vet's office where she was checked out, wounds treated, and pictures taken. Due to all of her hair, they missed the wound on her face. I found it and will be taking her back for reassessment tomorrow. That too will be documented.

When I have the vet report and copies of all the pictures in hand, I'll call the dangerous animal control dept. After that I'll see my lawyer.

It's taken me a long time to learn the steps and follow through when something like this happens. And it's happened to me before in other states with other dogs and other neighbors. Each state has it's own set of laws so if you run into a problem with a dangerous animal, don't be afraid to document and follow through. Be sure to check out free legal aid if you need to.

Many people have pit bulls for a variety of reasons, but if they're aggressive, they need to be on a leash.

Unfortunately, the one that attacked Dolly seems to be left alone quite a bit.

I'll keep you posted. Thanks for being there.

15 comments:

Pam said...

Oh No!! Poor Dolly! Unfortunately with most Pit Bulls - or any aggressive dog it is often the owner that is the problem - not the dog. But it must be dealt with as a dangerous dog can not be left to just attack at random. I hope Dolly heals quickly. Give her a big Hug for me!

Carol said...

I'm so sorry for both of you...that is so scary...I just don't understand people who are not responsible pet owners. I'm sending good thoughts.

~Joan said...

Oh, your poor, furry baby.

Melanie said...

OK-- I blame owners not mean dogs. Poor Dolly. I wouldn't hesitate in pounding the animal that hurt her. Why leave a dog alone all the time?? Be careful--- It could have been you that the dog bit.....

QuilterPattiO said...

Poor Dolly! I do hope she is okay. I love dogs and even Pitt bulls can be a calm and loving animal but I blame the owner. No dog should ever be allowed to run free if they cause trouble. Happens here all the time and my dogs, behind a fence go crazy. I can only control mine but I sure would like to take the owners aside to give them a piece of my mind. Take care of that sweet dolly.

Carolyn said...

I'm so sorry...I hope Dolly heals quickly. Good for you for taking all the necessary steps and documenting everything. The pittie is a menace, not a family pet. Let us know what happens!

YankeeQuilter said...

I hope they go after the owner and not just the dog! Poor Dolly...prayers with you both.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Oh my gosh - how scary and poor baby Dolly! I hope she heals fast! And hugs to you!!

Lou said...

Poor Dolly! I bet that's the last time she tries to make friends with a pit bull.

Tonya Ricucci said...

oh poor Dolly. Hope she heals quickly and well. ditto what others have said about blaming the owner! jerk.

Idaho Quilter said...

I am so glad Dolly is ok.

Carole said...

I am so sorry to read this! I do not understand why people keep dangerous pets. Where is the common sense? Give Dolly a gentle chin rub for me!

Lori said...

Poor Dolly! I'm glad you have documented it and will follow through.
I hope Dolly gets her chicken vittles tonight and eats:)

Quilts And Pieces said...

Oh poor Dolly. That is awful. I hope she is doing better and will be ok.

julieQ said...

I am so sorry this happened to your precious dog...I just do not like it that there was not concern at all!