Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Thinking outside the box, assembling shelves.

In order to make sure the distance between vertical support bars was accurate,

I used the actually shelving, not a ruler.

At this point, the center vertical support was in place. The third and final support was being installed.
1) Install shelf unit (temporarily). 2) Place pencil marks on side of bar at center and bottom.

3) Remove shelf, align bar with pencil marks, and using a small drill bit, drill through screw slot marking the spot where your drywell hummers go.

These are the drywall hummers. If you don't use these, the shelf can collapse. (Ask me how I know this.)
These happen to be heavy duty and you can see by the raised pieces at the top that they actually screw into the drywall. There are smaller ones that you press in if you're hanging a picture. But these babies are for serious shelves that hold mega fabric.
Unfortunately the screws that came with them were too short, so I pulled out my bag of tricks and found better ones.

This is my Black and Decker handy dandy tool. It comes with multiple inserts for flat head and phillips head screws. (And a few other things I haven't figured out yet.) It's light and easy to use. Check out a Black and Decker outlet near you. Ask for one for your birthday . . . you'll thank me later.

Ohhhh, happy day!

(My bag of tricks . . . I have several, LOL.)

Until then, keep stitchin' . . .

4 comments:

*karendianne. said...

Fantastic!!!

YankeeQuilter said...

This is some serious organizing! power-tools and everything....

Quilts And Pieces said...

Well aren't you handy!!!! It looks great!

Lori said...

You are so handy!