Monday, February 22, 2010

Red is a good color for February


It helps chase away the gray-sky days.


Once upon a time, in certain cultures, only royalty was allowed to wear it, as many cochineal beetles were needed to produce the dye.

And of course madder root was used also, but I'm afraid I don't know that history as well. If you do, would you care to share?

Until then, keep stitchin' . . .

9 comments:

Melanie said...

Definitely a photo for a magazine....That home was simply made for quilts and You!!! Still kinda hoping you bring a pup into the mix. Hope this week is wonderful for you.

Jan said...

What beauties! I would get a stiff neck looking up at them all of the time - especially love the red and white medallion.

~Joan said...

How do you get anything done? I'd just stand and stare at the quilts all day!!

Is the one in the center a tumbler or just rectangles? I could not make it bigger to investigate!

~Joan

Quilts And Pieces said...

Oh I love the red and white quilt. I saw one similar once that was an antique but it was blue and white. I"ll have to dig that pic up sometime for you!

Mary Johnson said...

I love quilts with lots of red in them.

tich said...

Go to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rubia
and scroll down to history, to find all the uses of madder. Your house is absolutely beautiful and just made for quilts, as somebody said.

Chookyblue...... said...

love the red and white quilt...........need a bit of colour with all the winter dullness.......

Lori said...

Red and white are so classic!! It is stunning!!

*karendianne. said...

Mmmm, I love this display! Absolutely utter love it. I'd be so happy to be around that in my home. I think I'd be on cloud 9!