
Railroad crossing is a pattern not often seen these days, especially done in Amish solids. I made this around 1987. It's been tucked away since then, waiting patiently.

This close-up shows the variety of tone-on-tone blacks, along with the various shades of teal triangles. Harriet Hargrave gets the credit for introducing me to the concept of multiple black fabrics. As always, she was right, it does make a quilt far more interesting.
Now what to do about the border . . . any ideas?
Until then, keep stitchin' . .
8 comments:
1987? Poor thing...and it's so pretty. Do you have any more of the teal or dark coral? I'd be tempted not to add any borders, just square it up and bind it with one of those colors.
I left the borders off my railroad crossing.
I don't think it needs any border, beautiful as it is.
PattiO
I would probably just do a plain black border in the hopes of quilting something awesome on the border!
Does it really need a border? I think it's fine as it is, but if you need to put a border on to add size, I would go with a solid black.
I have this on my 'to do' list for years now ..... love your version with the snowball blocks!
I wonder how this would look with a crazy border or French braid?
I like the railroad crossing design. Do you still have those fabrics? What about a piano key border?
I think a large black border witha small colored inner boder would look good if you want a traditional"framed" amish look I like it either way
when I saw the last photo my first thought was what would I hand quilt in that center space?
Post a Comment