Friday, October 30, 2009

The best sugar cookies I've ever tasted. . . bar none!

Treasures can often be found at local church rummage sales. This time it was in the form of the best sugar cookies ever. I had a heck of a time tracking down the baker who of course was out of town for a few months. Persistence pays off though and I promised to share the recipe with everyone I know.

You'll want to make them for Thanksgiving, Christmas, and any holiday in between. Or just make them for yourself. They are that good.

Amish Sugar Cookies

1 cup unsalted butter (room temperature).
1 cup vegetable oil (Canola)
1 cup sugar
1 cup confectioner's sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
4-1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cream of tartar

Combine butter, oil, and sugars in a large mixing bowl. Add eggs; beat 1 minute until well blended. Add vanilla, beat well. In a separate bowl combine flour, baking soda, and cream of tartar; add to creamed mixture, mixing well.

Drop by small teaspoonfuls onto an ungreased cookie sheet. Bake at 375 degrees for 8-10 minutes.

Yield: About 5 dozen medium size cookies.

5 comments:

PiecefulChaos said...

Thanks for the recipe - I can't wait to try them!

Carol said...

YUMMERS!!!!!!!!!!!!I'll have to make those when Hampton comes...he loves cookies!

Pam said...

I will have to try this recipe for Christmas -- now that the oven is back in operation. I haven't made cookies since the kids left home.

Have a great weekend San.

The Calico Cat said...

That recipe definately sounds different (good). No brown sugar & 2 different fats... hmmm. (No rolling gives it high marks in my book too.)

Purple Pam said...

Thanks for the recipe. I have been trying to find a good drop cookie recipe for sugar cookies. I must try it ASAP.