My grandmother, a woman who raised 7 children by herself after my grandfather died at age 42, was the only quilter I know of in my family.
She also cooked, canned, baked, ironed with a flat iron, and sewed even while going blind from diabetes. She was a soldier of the steel apron generation and I inherited her chin. . . . along with her love of needlework.
If anyone has any suggestions on how to remove stains on linen, I'd greatly appreciate it.
Until then, keep stitchin' . . .
8 comments:
San, do you have a product in the States called Napison OXy. This is fantastic for lifting stains.
Another one is Sard soap.
Try Oxi-Clean. It has worked miracles for me on numerous things!!
What a beautiful tablecloth...I wish I had something magical to get that stain out.
I have a had a lot of success with the product marketed as "Vintage Soak." It isn't cheap and it isn't fast but it works really well. Last time I bought it through Keepsake...
I have used Vintage Textile Soak on my mother's Irish linen tablecloths with great success. I purchase from quilt shops.
I am a fan of Biz and long soaks, like days... I have also used oxyclean, I think on Martha Pullen's site there are directions for treating stained linens with oxyclean. The tablecloth is beautiful.
I'm a horrible stain remover...Just washed a load of clothes with college daughter's lipstick.... but if stain removal fails-- tea dye it and bring it back to life....
I recently read an article, maybe in Quilters Home, that mentioned many of the products listed here. I most remember the idea to 'do no harm' and maybe learn to love the lightened stain and remember the generations in your family that have used and enjoyed this tablecloth.
It is beautiful!
Post a Comment