Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Just a touch of Fall.

After seeing Karen's cute table arrangements, I decided to bring out my red bird house. The picture in the background is from the fourth grade I believe. Mom saved it for me and had it framed much later. Wasn't that a thoughtful gesture!

I finally found my big yellow bowl and decided this quilt would go better on the table and not the wall this year. I read an article about bleaching pinecones for decorating and would like to find a bag full to fill this bowl. Ah well, maybe next year.

My wreath was assembled and hung on my $4.00 door (yard sale).

Now the big question, what else can I hang on it? Any ideas? Maybe some burnt orange candles in clear glass holders. I've collected several lately (holders that is).

And finally, I got some of my chairs oiled. Did you know that wood dries out from heat in the house? Pre-winter is a good time to give all of your wood furniture a good going over with Murphy Oil Soap.

The 7 spindle curved back windsor on the right is one I built in a class at the John C. Campbell Folk School. I believe different folks are now teaching variations of it. However, if you're not into chair making, they offer many other types of classes. Before signing up, I suggest you speak to the instructor directly. There are different levels of skills needed for different classes. Having taught there for a few years, I know how hard it is for students to be in a class they're not happy with. However, given the variety of classes, I'm sure you could find something you'd like. Some of the instructors are friends of mine, so feel free to e-mail me if you have any questions.

Now I'm off to the basement, as there's MAJOR organizing to be done down there.

Until then, keep stitchin' . . .

6 comments:

Susan Tidwell said...

Love your seasonal decorations! The nip in the air is so refreshing.

Diane said...

I am in awe that you made a chair! Boy are you talented. I am lucky if I can glue a rung on one of my old store bought chairs.

Diane

Carol said...

Looks like fall at your house...love it...OMG you made a chair...that is amazing. A woman of MANY talents!

YankeeQuilter said...

You made the chair! I am soooo impressed. What do you teach at the school?

I put a good coating of furniture wax on all the wood before it was packed up last week.

sewprimitive karen said...

Can't believe you made that chair, and at the Campbell Folk Art School, how neat is that??? I'm wondering what classes you taught there, too.

BitnByAQuiltingBug said...

I love that door! What a great idea. You made a chair? WOW! That is wonderful. You're such a talented woman!
Regina