Monday, May 26, 2008

Making progress and a label


If you want to print your label out on the computer, begin by trimming a piece of freezer paper to just over 8-1/2" x 11".
Iron shiny side down onto a heavily starched piece of white or muslin fabric. Trim evenly to 8-1/2" x 11".

On your computer, set up your document with appropriate margins, I like 1.25" all around.

Type out your label information in your favorite font and size. Print a test piece on to paper first and lay paper over muslin to make sure everything fits the way you want it to. Verify which side of the paper your printer prints on then set your muslin piece by itself in the paper tray accordingly. Click print and if all goes well, it should come out straight. Iron print side down onto another piece of fabric to set the ink. It is recommended that you remove the paper and then rinse the label in a product called Bubble Jet Set to set the ink, but I've always left it to fate. It's totally up to you.

Trim again if you wish to just frame wording, leaving a 3/4" margin of white for sewing. Remove paper. Frame with fabric strips and back with a leftover piece of muslin. Sew right sides together leaving an opening for turning. Turn, press again, and sew on to quilt making sure side with opening goes under binding.

13 comments:

Carol said...

Wonderful quilt, wonderful label...he is going to love it! It's a real guy's quilt. Thanks for the label tutorial.

Rose Marie said...

Gorgeous quilt and just love those care instructons!

Darling Millie said...

Great label tutorial.

Good luck on numbers 6 and 7. I can just see my son rolling his eyes.

Kim said...

Do not use as a moving blanket......one day I may post about the queensized, pieced and quilted by HAND log cabin my hubby and idiot brother ruined using as a moving blanket when we moved into this house :(
But your quilt looks great. I need to make another one of those soon. Mine went to a friends baby and they're having another one.....

Mary Johnson said...

Love this scrappy Delectable Mountains and the hourglass blocks too.

loulee said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog and commenting.

I love The Rules. May I adopt them?

Jenni said...

Great tutorial - I bought an inkjet printer recently, as I only had a laser printer. I thought it would be good for doing labels, so I must give it a go. The rules are funny, but number 7 could be taken 2 ways! It's a lovely quilt as well - good for a guy.

Elaine Adair said...

Good tutorial, and follows the lessons of "KISS."

MANY, MANY years ago, I made my first quilt label, similar to this, but on a laser jet NOT the right way, I now know. That label is on my bed quilt, over 10 years old, washed at least once a year, and the label ... despite instructions NEVER to use this laswer method ... is still quite readable. Lesson? Don't have a canniption if you did it wrong - it may work out just fine.

Love that delectable mountains.

Dawn said...

Oh, thank you! I love this!

Melanie said...

Great post. I'm goin gto try to print a label. Love this quilt. I keep thinking about it in pastels--- a smaller version-- for a baby quilt I need to make.

meggie said...

That is one fantastic quilt!! I hope he treasures it well.

Marit said...

What a lucky guy to recieve this quilt - love it. The label is great. What a great aunt!
I would love to use this idea for a label some day - thank you for sharing!

bingo~bonnie said...

Your Rules label is perfect, exept I'd have rules 8 & 9 as the top 1 and 2 rules ;)

I am new to your blog and will reaad down to see if these were some of his old shirts. Either way I love it! Great colors!!!

Love from Texas! ~bonnie