Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Decisions, decisions . .

Should I stand up and finish pinning the Lil' Darlin' quilt . . .

Or sit down and finish sewing the binding on the deadline quilt?

Now this is a tough decision. Luckily the book I'm listening to is "The Hunchback of Notre Dame" and so I'll be thoroughly entertained whether I'm sitting or standing.

Would those in the know kindly tell me if the bells of Notre Dame really have names? And are there still 6 of them? And when were they cast? And . . . well, you get the idea.

Until then, keep stitchin' . . .

5 comments:

Finn said...

I'm here, in true Libra fsshion, to vote for BOTH...stand awhile and get part pinned, sit awhile and so some stitching *VBS* Works for me and both get done, just a bit slower, as it were.
I know NOTHING of bells, sorry.*VBS* Big hugs, Finn

*karendianne. said...

I don't have the answer but a couple things...I listen to books while I'm sewing, too. Dig it. And umm, I really really like the lil darling. so cuteamous!

Beth said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog. I don't know about the bells, but maybe Tonya at Lazy Gal could find out. Beth

Quiltgranny said...

Emmanuel (the heaviest) was re-cast in the 1600's, and it is in the South Tower. This is the one you hear being tolled on the hour. I think there are only five total bells, though. The other 4 bells on are wheels in the North Tower and are on electric motors now. That's all I remember of the bells, but I do know they were NOT destroyed in the revolution as was much of the cathedral. There WAS talk of melting them down. Another tidbit I remember is that the line of statues across the middle of the front (called the Kings Gallery)were decapitated during the revolution because the people thought they represented the French kings - they don't - they represent the 28 Kings of Judah. I saw the heads and other things that were excavated in 1977 onm the Musee de Cluny. There's lots of history with Notre Dame from the 10th century all the way through the 18th century. Hope this helps!

sewprimitive karen said...

Have been catching up on your past several posts; such lovely quilts and cooking, pure heaven!