Saturday, February 16, 2008

Like gum on a sneaker,

I'm really stuck.


Exhibit A was made 20 years ago. It's the only quilt on which I used cotton thread instead of monofilament on the top. Why, well, I was so excited about getting it done, that I forgot to change threads. Silly me.
Fast forward to the next baggie project. Yupper, 20-year-old pieces waiting patiently.

Is the red too bright, the blue too much. Should it only be white and blue. Or should I just close my eyes and sew? Ouch!

24 comments:

Kim West said...

I love it... just close your eyes and sew. I think the red gives it a very needed punch. If you don't end up liking it, you can always give it to Quilts of Valor or such.

Anonymous said...

The blue is great--don't sweat it. The red is good at brightening the project. It does however, draw the eyes attention (which isn't a bad thing either). Depends on what you want people to see.

quiltmom anna said...

Hi gypsy quilter,
I do like the red - especially if you add a small red border to unite it with main body of the quilt. You might want to consider a different colored stop border( white or softer shade of blue) along with the main blue and then a skinny red border followed by the main blue of the quilt again.
It will just have a different look than your original design. What a beautiful quilt!
Regards from a Western Canadian Quilter,
Anna

MARCIE said...

Hi San, lovely quilts! I just tagged you to reveal 7 things about yourself. Visit my blog for the rules. Hugs from me!

Bonnie K. Hunter said...

I LOVE it! Add red inner border, and red cornerstones.....or you could do a red flying geese border or sawteeth! I definitely like it!

Bonnie

dot said...

The red is bright but I like it. Sew it and go on. It is lovely.

Tracey in CT said...

Close your eyes and sew! Carry the red into the border somehow and it will look like you planned it that way all along. And just thing, two things out of the pile at once!! Good bonus!! :-)

BitnByAQuiltingBug said...

I love the red in it. It really makes it pop! Another beautiful quilt in the making. You are so very talented....
Regina in MI

Patch said...

i think it looks great and agree that red in the next border would be good - even just a peeper of red to draw the eye out from the centre.
i love blue too

Pat said...

I agree! I like it. I think a little touch of red in the border is all that it needs.

Linda said...

I like it...close your eyes and sew.

Anonymous said...

The red makes it interesting

Knot Garden said...

The red is bright but because it's in a regular pattern it doesn't draw the eye in an awkward way. A narrow red border is a good suggestion. I would stick with the red and sew as it is, and it will be lovely.

Elaine Adair said...

Red, red, include the red!

Anonymous said...

Looks like most of us agree ... RED it is!

Twenty year old baggies of pieces, I don't think I used em then. I have little bags of pieces all over the place now!

Looks great tho ...

Happy Stitching!
Cindy B.
cindyquiltsor

Sherry said...

I like the red. . .and would agree that putting a small red border would help the red not look so "random".

I think the quilt will be very pretty.

Anonymous said...

Just SEW, it's beautiful, San !

((HUGS)) & smiles to you ! :>)
NADINE

Floss said...

The red looks good, just make sure to include some more in the border.

Floss said...

The red look good, just included some more in the border.

Kim said...

it's beautiful with the red. I love the little blue/white blocks. What is the name of it???
you're really whipping these ufo's into shape

Finn said...

Looks great to me San...I'd say "just sew" but keep your eyes open please!
It's a great solution for such an old project. Hugs, Finn

Susan Tidwell said...

Red is good. Too much blue will make you blue. Red will make you happy. Happy is good. I hope you are happy and having a great time with your baggie projects.

Quilts And Pieces said...

Oooo - love the original!

Tracy said...

Love the red!