Sunday, August 26, 2007

Just for Tonya




Since the weather was holding, I decided to get a picture out on the back clothesline. At the top of the quilt, the sun is just beginning to make it's way down towards the other mountain. In winter, when the leaves are off of the trees, I get some wonderful sunsets.
This pattern is based on the one found in Scrap Quilt Celebration by Karen Bolesta (page 156). It is a very lovely book with a wide variety of ideas. I bought mine in 2003 so it's most likely still available.
The close up view allows you to see the hand-dyed fabrics versus the store bought. They add a lovely glimmer.
If you have not tried dying your own fabric, I recommend 2 resources. One is Pro Chemical and Dye( www.prochemical.com/ ) and the second is http://www.dharmatrading.com/. I would place my order based on where I lived as shipping is outrageous, ( i.e. Pro Chemical is on the east coast and Dharma is on the west coast. ) If you're outside the U.S., well then you already know all about shipping costs. Dharma offers a free catalog full of a wide variety of clothing and accessories ready to be hand-dyed.
If you want to dye fabric only, http://www.hancocksofpaducah.com/ offers a high quality bleached muslin that works very well with Procion MX dyes. I cannot think of the name of it, but they'll be happy to help you out.
Until then, keep stitchin' . . . . . .

2 comments:

Tonya Ricucci said...

Beautiful. I really love that quilt. Gorgeous stained glass window effect you have going with the sunlight.

Henrietta said...

You should look for 100% cotton PFD (Prepared for Dying) cloth. PFD fabrics are free of optical brighteners and resinous sizes which interfere with dye take-up. Kaufman makes a Kona Cloth PFD fabric with a 60 x 60 threadcount and P & B also has PFD which is 115" wide, 78 x 78 threadcount.