Thursday, August 2, 2007

Space, The Final Frontier

Anyone can build rectangle shelving units. Even if you don't own or operate a tablesaw or know anyone who owns and operates a tablesaw. I built mine back in 1993 when I lived in an awful efficiency apartment in Riverdale, Georgia for 11 months. Thank goodness, both the shelves and I survived.

All you need is a nearby Home Depot type of store and a screw driver or portable drill. Well, and the gas to get there, but we won't talk about that. You'll want to go to their pre-cut lumber section. You're looking for Grade D (yes lumber comes in grades) white pine that is 48" long and 12" wide. Buy 3 of them for each shelf unit. You shop for lumber the same way you shop for fabric. Look for clear boards with few knotholes and no warping. If you just won the lottery and feel like going for Grade A, that's up to you. Personally, I like to paint mine so grade D is just fine.
Ask the kindly tablesaw operator at Home Depot to cut 1 of the 4-foot boards in to 3 - 15" long pieces. The first 2 cuts should be free. The third one is probably still 50 cents.

You'll need wood screws to assemble. Nails just won't do it. I've no idea what size, but someone at the store will know. Too big a screw will split the wood and too small a screw will not hold it together, so yes, size is important.

Using #1 - 4 ft board, draw a center line with pencil across the width (not length) of the board. Repeat for 4 ft board #2. Using a portable drill with a drill bit (bit must be smaller than the screw size - trust me on this), drill 3 small holes equidistant along the pencil line. Repeat for board #2.

Align the 12" x 15" spacer board directly under the predrilled holes of board #1 and drill in wood screws about 1/2 way down. Lay that board flat on the ground and place second long board on top of spacer piece. Repeat step. You now have a big H. Place the remaining 12" x 15" boards on each end of the H and screw half way down on each end and each side. Once all spacer boards are in place and evenly aligned, finish setting screws flush with the top. Take your time. Paint if desired.

CAUTION: If you make more than 1 stack and there are kitties or toddlers in the house (prone to jumping and bumping), they need to be screwed together and then to the wall. Mine have never toppled, as they are weighted down and very sturdy; however, there are no kitties or toddlers here.

3 comments:

Knot Garden said...

Great instructions, but I don't know if I could do all that! The kitchen sink quilt is gorgeous:)

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous blog site. maw

Melanie said...

My very first quilt was a blue and white ninepatch... I've never posted about it... I just might do it.... Love the photo.