Thanks to Patti over at "Quilting Is My Passion" and her lovely tutorial, I dove right in and used up about ohh, say 1/2 teaspoon of the 37 gallon bucket of my string stash.I knew I was saving the left over ends from my 2" strips for a good cause (well okay it seemed like a good idea at the time). And when they were assembled in to a vertical chain, it made a lovely spacer to a totally chaotic wall quilt.
For those who've known me a long time, you know this is totally out of my "comfort zone." However, I think it's good to go beyond our boundaries once in awhile.
The Mile-A-Minute blocks are trimmed down to 6-1/2". The vertical spacer chains are 2" wide.
I was so caught up in this project I made 10 extra 6-1/2" blocks. Which, I have decided, should be the ingredients for someone else's "Crumb Cake."
So, if you leave a comment to that effect on this post, I'll pick a winner from the list of names and mail you the 10 blocks within the next 63 days. The contest ends at midnight on Wednesday, August 15th, East Coast / USA time.
Here is Patti's post so you can join in the fun.
htttp://quiltingisstillmypassion.blogspot.com/2007/07/mile-minute-blocks-photo-tutorial.html
Until then, keep stitchin' . . . . . . .
9 comments:
Love em! I am getting started on some crumb blocks soon, have an idea to use them to make diamonds for a 6 pointed star...using CW scraps.
trying to learn how to do this
I did it! My first blog comment! Although I do with it could have been more profound. The name "crumb cake" is so great, it's perfect! I really like the colors and shapes in this quilt. This looks like fun and a terrific way to use every thread you could ever possibly come across. Way to go gypsyquilter. I'm learning soooo much from your site.
I, too, have a ginormous bin of bits and pieces to wade through. Thanks for another idea how to set the blocks! Donna D., Columbus, Ohio
Your crumb quilt is looking great! Thanks for the tip from Harriet Hargrave. I think I'll start doing that.
Thanks for stopping by my blog. I couldn't reply to you personally because of your "no-reply" comment return address so I'll say it here in re to caching -- you never know what might be hidden in your woods!
Hi San, I love your blocks, and would LOVE to have any crumbs that fly my way..*VBS* Pick me!! LOL....
Great creative idea to use the spaces from pieces...I've done pieced lattice around 10" blocks, both directions, but never thought to apply it to the MAM blocks...thanks! Hugs, Finn
Aren't these just too fun! And yours turned out great! Everytime I see one I want to start one - now.... if I only could catch my breath and sew!
I'm more fond of strings than crumbs but I do have a *controlled* type crumb quilt planned when I get around to it inspired by one of Sandy Bonsib's quilts.
I subscribed to your blog a few weeks ago, but am just now getting around to reading it. I guess not being able to sew has one advantage - I'm sure getting caught up on all the blogs I wanted to read! Your blocks are marvelous! I had no idea when I posted that little tutorial that it would make such a stir in blogland. I wish every blogger who made blocks had left me a comment so I could find them - I'm sure that's how I found you. I'm having a delightful time looking through all your pictures, as you love the same sort of quilts that I do. I'm also fascinated with your sewing space. Necessity is certainly the mother of invention and you've adapted beautifully to the fact that your space must be moved so often.
Post a Comment