
When working with my hand-dyed 2" squares, I noticed that despite all of the Synthropol and washing, some colors were still bleeding. Sooo, little by little over the summer, I've been re-washing with a vinegar rinse. I won't miss the heat, but I will miss hanging out the wash. It really does brighten up the neighborhood. 
8 comments:
I love the smell and feel line dried clothing, sheets, whatever. Very pretty colors.
Oh aren't those all fun hanging there!
Always a lot of confusion about dye fixatives.
Synthropol keeps loose particles of dye in suspension in the wash so they don't stain other areas of the fabric & cause muddy color. It does not fix or set dye.
Retayne fixes dye to prevent color bleeding during washing.
When using Rit or any inexpensive all purpose dye to 'cook' fabric, salt in the dyebatch helps prepare the cotton fabric to make it more receptive to the dye by altering the ph. Vinegar does the same job for nylon or wool. Neither vinegar nor salt is much use as a fixative for modern dyes.
ooh, I love that pink and white on the left and that gorgeous bullseye on the right. fabulous.
Love the colors, they look so happy to be outside in the fresh air! When we used to tie dye we would add salt to the water supposedly to set the color and keep it from running, not sure how effective it was...
I recently posted about tie dye here. Your picture makes me want to get creative and go dye something!
The colours all look so beautiful hanging on the line.
Don't tell me summer's over...it feels like it just arrived here w/ triple digit temps finally...hope you are staying cooler than we are! Cool fabric here.
Oooh, pretty pictures and fabrics.
Post a Comment