Monday, August 14, 2017

Attention, attention, may I have your attention.

After gleaning information from various sources, we'd just like to know how many of you actually plan on traveling to Western North Carolina for the eclipse?

And how many will be staying home to sew?

As I understand it, every hotel/motel, campground, and rental home has been booked for months.  There's a possibility of cell phones not working due to excessive usage and internet not working for the same reason.  And I was told yesterday that NASA has already arrived.  (Bring up the music, ta da).

Lowe's has been selling the special glasses for awhile, but our local eye doctor is offering them for less at $1.00.  It's a shame I won't be renting out my front deck and yard, as they are perfect observation points.

A local school is renting out 250 parking spots and their cafeteria is gearing up to cook 3 meals a day. Many stores in town are closing, but restaurants will also be open and very busy.  However, no matter how you slice it, there is still NOT enough room for 65,000 to 100,000 people in these small towns to park, eat, etc. etc.

So if you're coming, do have a plan, a destination spot, and as Yogi would say, a pic-a-nic basket with plenty of water, as well as an extra gas can.

Authorities are urging residents to treat it like a snow storm.  We're to buy gas and groceries ahead of time and "stay off the roads" due to excessive traffic.  Since no one seems to have a clear indication of attendance numbers, Dolly asked me to take a poll.

Feel free to send me your opinion on all of this hoopla.

Until then, keep stitchin' . . .

7 comments:

Shelina said...

I'm staying local. Not sure if I will be outside or inside. I don't know anyone who will be traveling for this event. It is too close to school starting.

JustGail said...

I'm taking the day off, since I have some "use or lose" vacation time. I will not be driving anywhere (if I were, Missouri would be closest), but will be staying home and sewing. Or something close to the windows, and going outside. I'm in a 92-93% coverage area, so it still should be a good show. However, I *may* do some driving for the 2024 eclipse.

Christie said...

I, living in SE Nebraska, will NOT be traveling anywhere except to work on Monday. I will watch from the windows at work. We heard the traffic in our part of the state is going to be crazy too! I would like to have a "sew day" instead of going to work, but, alas, one of our co-workers already is taking the day to "celebrate" the eclipse. So Dolly, no attendance from me!

Jennie in GA said...

I'll be at home in GA. If I can locate some official glasses, I'll watch for a few. We won't get full coverage, but it should still be pretty good. Our schools are holding students over so that they can view the eclipse from school and not risk being on school buses and without protective glasses. Pretty good idea, I think.

Rebecca said...

I live in Madras Oregon which is ground zero for the west coast viewing. I have 5 people coming in from Florida, Texas, and Seattle and they will start arriving tomorrow to "beat the traffic". They are planning on over 1/2 million people in a county of 22 thousand. We are hopefully coming out of 100 degree weather but fire season is in full swing. I have an astro photo club due in to park 6 rvs on the bottom half of my 3 acres. No charge though some places around here are charging as much as $1200 for 3 days.
I plan to have the last of my supplies in today and then I am parking the car and calling it good.

Lou Brackett said...

I am not going anywhere special to view it, but might glance out the window while it's happening.

Dawn said...

SIL is traveling to Kansas to see it. He has a spot on private property all arranged. Sure to be interesting!!