Thursday, February 4, 2016

Right place. Right Time.

Solid oak, you remember what that's like don't you?  Furniture made of real wood?  I know, it's almost extinct nowadays.  But I digress.

My current desk is made of pressed paper.  A yard sale find, but it's worked . . . sort of, for 5 years.

Stopping in at my local thrift shop, just 16 minutes before closing, I spied my new desk.  The previous owner propped up the side leaves with 6 pieces of wood and screws.  Sigh.  After a bit of wash and polish, (and removal of excess wood/screws) it's ready for a better life.

The bottom label states, "Constitution Oak".  Can anyone tell me about that brand?

It's nice to know bargains can still be found in the age of internet everything.   And some furniture is actually made from real trees with dovetail joints no less.

Until then, keep stitchin' . . .

4 comments:

suzanne, dutchess county NY said...

Things like this always interest me. I love antiques roadshow. I googled it and found that you may have furniture made from scrap wood left over from building the USS Constitutiin in 1926. Wouldn't that be a find. Not sure if they'd be valuable but it certainly would be a cool thing to have and pass on. Worth researching. In my google search I saw that there is a museum with a collection of these items. Perhaps they could help you verify your find.

Carolyn said...

Wow, definitely right place, right time and right price too! Looks like you have an heirloom there! Just beautiful!

Lou said...

Love it! I have two beautiful hand made wooden tables that I purchase recently waiting for the kitchen reno to be complete before they can be moved inside. Can't wait!

Weez said...

I like your table/desk, enjoy!