Saturday, March 15, 2014

Ut Ohh Spaghetti O's

My first mistake was not double checking the quilt backing to make sure it fit the one-patch quilt top properly.

My second mistake was cutting the batting to match the backing that did not fit that quilt top.

Side bar:  My Hobbs organic batting was purchased about 10 years ago and I'm only using it on really special quilts.  I have no idea how much it's gone up in price, but I'm sure it has!

Luckily there's a back up plan.  The glorified 9-patch finished just last week will fit with no problem.

Note to self:  On queen size quilts, always extend the backing and batting a minimum of 5 inches on each side.   The contraction rate when quilting every 2" is greater than when quilting every 6" so extra yardage is needed.

We're at 65 degrees today.  For those of you dealing with more ice, snow and cold temps, you're welcome to come on down and help me pin.  There could even be brownies.

Until then, keep stitchin' . . .

2 comments:

suzanne, dutchess county NY said...

I've done that, don't feel bad. Hate it when that happens!
How do you make out using the table to sandwich your quilts? I've tried that with mixed results. We have a few dogs here and there is always hair on the floor so that option it is out. I now sandwich on my design wall. I use spray basting in between the layers.

Purple Pam said...

Thanks for the hint on the pins being placed in different directions. I had not thought that if they all went one way the quilt would shift that way. Wow! Who would have thought? I dislike pinning/basting. I have a little fun quilt for my grandson and all it needs is basting so I can quilt it. I seem to find so many other things to do instead of basting! Yuck!