Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Old blocks, new setting.

The very first top I made in Harriet Hargrave's class back in 1985 consisted of these blocks.  Sadly, the entire top bowed like a bridge.

After disassembling each unit, I starched and re-trimmed all of the squares.  Then placed it in a new setting.

The bottom row bothered me, as there was so much black; however, I added visual interest by including 3 different colors with the red border.   This allows the eye to move around framing the piece visually.

Don't give up on your old projects.  Sometimes they just need a bit of starch and a new setting.

Until then, keep stitchin' . . .

4 comments:

Mayleen said...

I think your border treatment really gives this quilt some zing!

Paula, the quilter said...

Nice. My first thought for that black area was fancy quilting.

Quilts And Pieces said...

I love the the 3 colored squares in the red border!

Melanie said...

The black really is striking in this piece. Spray starch or sizing? It was well worth taking apart and re-assembling.