Monday, July 11, 2011

Lunch box social

Words from a book read long ago came to mind, as I layed out the newest log cabin.




The story revolves around a young lady whose beau was to bid on her boxed lunch at the town's lunch box social. A shoe box was filled with the young man's favorites and then decorated with paper and ribbons. All local young fellas of courting age got a chance to bid for the box, as well as sit with the lady who made it.

In all of my travels, I've only ever met one man who actually attended a lunch box social and got to sit with his future wife. Have you ever attended one? Are they still going on ? Will someone please mention this to Jan Karon so she can include it in her next book! Perhaps the idea, like quilting, will catch on.




The idea for my new quilt top actually arrived compliments of Lynn, who of course used wonderful plaids. Me, I'm using up the oddest and oldest fabric I can find in the hopes of depleting my 1-3/4" strip box(es).



And while I've been busy upstairs, guess who's been busy downstairs???

Until then, keep stitchin' . . .


6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I never heard of that custom before, how funny and interesting !
LOVE LOVE your new log cabin quilt, it's so bright and joyful ;>)
Hmmmm.... maybe I could send some old shoes to Dolly ? HeeHee...

XOXOXOXOOXXO
NADINE

Carol said...

Great quilt! Mom wants to know if you're sure you don't need some of her shoes...LOL!

YankeeQuilter said...

I am familiar with the term lunch box social but I knew what it ment...early speed dating?!

pwl said...

Wow - very pretty! And I think I've read that same story about the lunch box social. Although wasn't there a twist about someone else bidding on it? :-)

Purple Pam said...

I have heard of the lunch box social, but do not know if it is done anymore. I like your newest log cabin quilt. Isn't Dolly cute crewing on that shoe?

Floss said...

I never knew what a lunch box social was but I can see why this quilt made you think of one.