Sunday, July 27, 2008

Ye Olde Fudge Pan

Recently, I came across my mother's fudge pans. Isn't it amazing how such a simple utilitarian item conjours up smells, tastes, and images of the past. How often do we associate a favorite recipe with women who introduced us to the joys of baking and sharing. And aren't we lucky to have that intrinsic connection of food, laughter, and love.


Tender Fudge Layer Cake (for a 2-layer cake, double the recipe)

1-3/4 cup flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup butter - softened
1-1/3 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 squares unsweetened chocolate melted or 1/2 cup dry chocolate powder
1 cup ice water

Stir together flour, baking soda, and salt, set aside. In large mixing bowl cream butter, sugar, eggs, and vanilla at high speed until fluffy. Stir in chocolate. On low speed add flour mixture with water. Blend well. Pour into well greased 8" pan.

Bake in preheated 350 degree oven for 30 minutes. Cool and frost with your favorite icing.

9 comments:

The Calico Cat said...

Sounds kind of like my grandmothers (Aunts) Chocolate water cake... I need to ask for that recipe.

Carol said...

YUMMY! YUMMY! YUMMY! I have my coffee cup in my hand...don't eat it all before I get there...LOL!

StitchinByTheLake said...

My mother used to cook cornbread on top of the stove in an omelette pan! She would pour the mix into the hot pan, let it cook till brown on the bottom, close the lid and flip it over, cook it till the other side was brown. Every time I see an omelette pan I think of her. I miss her. Blessings, marlene

Anonymous said...

Looks just yummy :)

BitnByAQuiltingBug said...

Oh that looks good enough to eat! I just make a yellow cake with homemade chocolate butter cream frosting yesterday afternoon and we enjoyed some after church service last night. Oh! The calories...but it was good! I'm checking into that "canning marvel", too. Looks awesome! Have a great week!
Regina

Pam said...

Those pans certainly look like they have been well used. I bet they make the best fudge. Boy - does the thought of Home made fudge bring back memories. Your cake looks great. Too bad I wasn't 10 again and could eat a big piece of chocolate cake everyday without worry -LOL

Colleen formerly of South Africa said...

I have two small cookie sheets with that same waffley design on them. Can't bring myself to get rid of them.

Chookyblue...... said...

looks good..........now about the flour is that like plain flour or self raising flour........help.........

AverettLadyNana said...

When I saw your fudge pans I almost died!!! I have one that looks like it. It is the only pan that I can get fudge and cornbread to turn out fit to eat. Mine came with my husband thirty years ago. I have feeling it was his 90-1/2 old mother's. I make sure I don't use it when she is here being afraid she'll want to claim it back!