Wednesday, July 9, 2008

The diagnosis

Watching your dearest pal of 14 years fall and stumble on steps is a trauma no mom wants to face. The signs of aging can be gradual or sudden. Bonnie Girl had her doctor appointment on Monday. It seems she has lower lumbar arthritis, which is worse than hip dysplasia. She is now on 325 mg of buffered aspirin, fish oil (for joints), glucosamine and chondroitin 1000 mg for 2 weeks then tapered (for joints, and yes people brand is okay), and 2 tablets of Proin (a vet prescription) for incontinence (caused by the arthritis, not kidney failure).

The easiest way to hide the medication is with liverwurst. So, if you have to give your cat or dog any meds, that's my tip for the day.

Thanks so much to all of you who have been checking in with me through all of this. Your thoughts and good wishes are greatly appreciated.

Until then, keep stitchin' . . .

15 comments:

Carol said...

We've had really good luck with peanut butter and with cheez whiz. We did the liverwurst and that worked great until Zack figured out what we were doing, so we'd change it very frequently. We'd put the pills in the peanut butter or cheez whiz and the put that between crackers. To this day if we get the crackers out Zack is in the kitchen in a second.
Tons of good thoughts for you both.

Paula, the quilter said...

At least you are there to help. Hang in there.

*karendianne. said...

Thinking of you Bonnie Girl. And you let us know what special love you need.

*karendianne.

Kim said...

Many prayers for Bonnie girl. We used American cheese for Alex when we had him. Hang in there San,

BitnByAQuiltingBug said...

I just knew there had to be a reason liverwurst exsisted. Now I know why. I have four dogs and I know how you feel about them. I lost my oldest dog (and my fav, but we don't tell the others) a few years ago and I still miss her. Glad you are taking such wonderful care of your pal! My dogs are all on diets now, as they seem to be having some knee issues. They don't look overweight, but the vet says they are. Looking forward to those new quilt pics soon....you inspire me!
Regina

Diane said...

My neighbor has a dog, Augie, who had the same problems as yours. He put him on glucosamine and it was unbelieveable how well he did. Augie is now 16 years old.

Melzie said...

aww hugs to you sweetie, hope the meds do the trick :) xoxo melzie

Knot Garden said...

My parents had dogs and I remember them struggling to get them to take medication and hiding it in food they liked. Some dogs take it more easily than others.
My best wishes to Bonnie, I hope she makes some progress soon, and try not to worry.

Sara said...

Poor thing! I hope she starts feeling better!

Pam said...

Hi San

I am back from my holiday. I sure wish the dear Bonnie all the very best and hope she feels good most of the time. Give her a big ear rub from me!!

Quilts And Pieces said...

Oh sorry to hear about Bonnie girl. Look at how sweet she is! Almost could be mistaken for a large red fox at a really quick glance. Oh I just hate the day my Chloe gets old.

Dorothy said...

I hope the pills do the trick. Bonnie looks a beautiful dog.

Anonymous said...

Annon gave the puppies worming tablets in MY yoghurt & it worked. Stockings took his antibiotics wrapped in bacon.

Hope Bonnie feels better soon

Karen said...

It is hard to watch our dear ones age. She's blessed to have you and all of this will help her be more like herself. She is a beautiful dog and looks very happy to be in that spot :).

Hugs - Karen

Mary Johnson said...

I can relate but it scares me too - Chesty is only 7 and we have already had so many health issues. We use pill pockets from the pet store ....at $10 for 30 pockets it's not cheap when he takes meds at least 2x per day. I hope all the meds help.