I bought Lehman's best steam juicer about 8 years ago. If you wish to make jelly, applesauce, tomato paste, V-8 juice, or a New England boiled dinner, then this is the pot you need. I grew up canning with my parents, who thought nothing of working in the kitchen all day putting up bushels of peaches or tomatoes. No doubt you are familiar with the cheesecloth method of straining fruit to make juice for jelly. This pot simplifies the entire process.
In this area of NC, there are many abandoned apple trees. After obtaining permission from the land owner, I gather a box full. Then they are rinsed, de-stemmed, quartered and tossed in to the colandar part of the pot. Water boils in the bottom section, turning the apples in to juice. Canning jars are heated in the oven and after filling are sealed with hot lids and set aside to cool. The apple pulp then goes through the ricer to be made in to applesauce.
I've also gathered blueberries or blackberries, which are picked through to check for twigs, etc. then rinsed once and tossed in to the colander section. In no time at all, the fruit is steamed in to juice, placed in hot jars, sealed, and saved for making jelly on a cooler day.
This is a great product to cut down on time and mess in the kitchen if you have abundant produce to process. Initially the price is steep, but it's a good investment especially if you have a market for the jelly you sell.
I really should get a commission, but I wouldn't promote this item if I didn't think you'd enjoy it.
Until then, keep stitchin' . . .
4 comments:
How industrious you are to be able to can all this. I don't think a lot of people do that these days or maybe it's because I live in a city I don't see it anymore.
Some of my fondest memories are of sitting with my grandmother while she got peaches ready to put up for the winter. I always ate so many she thought I would get sick. This was a long time ago in Tennessee.
Looks like you've found a good product.
Linda
YUMMY!!!!!!!! May I come for applesauce and toast and jelly/
What is a New England Boilded Dinner?
BTW We parboil & freeze. Or use teh freezer jelly method, or the refrigerator pickles method - how I was brought up.
That looks good. I use a huge preserving pan with a lid that is known as my cauldron! Do you ever add sugar & spices to your apple juice to make spiced apple cordial? In the Winter, that is wonderful diluted with hot water. I've not made jellies since I've moved as the range & I are still having issues concerning it NOT cooking anything I ask it to.
Post a Comment