Saturday, July 19, 2008

Buried treasure

Last weekend I decided to head to South Georgia and bring back some items from storage. For many years, my great grandmother's chair remained seatless. Then a friend gave me four 30-year-old ladderback chairs (all of which needed work). I met a gentleman who was willing to trade the four ladderbacks for one chair-caned seat. And he did a lovely job.

The yo-yo quilt is from my sister who thriftily used every fabric she had on hand in the 1970s. Both items are years apart in the making, but hold that revered bond of family connection.

In this day and age of extreme mobility that connectiveness keeps us anchored. Thank goodness great grandmother had good taste, my mother saved the chair for me, and my sister had time and fabric to create a pattern I'd never attempt.

Until then, keep stitchin . . .

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

thank goodness for your grandmother and sister..but more importantly YOU who has the love and appreciation for these heirlooms. thanks for sharing.

Pam said...

He certainly did do a wonderful job!! What a beautiful chair!! You are lucky to have inherited both the chair and the quilt. I don't think I would ever do a YoYo quilt like that either.

Carol said...

What an absolutely beautiful chair...that is truly a treasure. And that yoyo quilt...WOW! WOW! WOW!

StitchinByTheLake said...

Treasures from family members are definitely to be kept close to our hearts. Yoyo quilts are so fun, but lots of work! They do remind me of my grandmother - she loved yoyo quilts. Blessings, marlene

Kim said...

what lovely family treasure.
I especially love the yoyos-

Michelle said...

Lovin' the yo-yo quilt!!

sewprimitive karen said...

Pretty chair, good trading, San!

Janet said...

What lovely treasures and what a talented photographer you are - this captures the atmosphere your home must have!
Janet

Anonymous said...

Both are beautiful and it is so nice to have things around that hold a special meaning and remind us of the ones that we love.

Anonymous said...

Have ya'll ever tried Clover's yoyo makers? They make cutting and stitching the circles very easy. I would always obsess about getting them all perfect, but the contraption Clover made makes them very simple.

The best part is they come in more than just circles. I'm working on a quilt with hearts and flowers in all shapes and sizes of yoyos.

Ya'll might just want to rethink your opinions of yo yos!