As quilters, we give abundantly and joyously the whole year through.
After reading Marie Kondo's book, The Magic of Tidying Up, I began following some of her simple guidelines.By gathering all the towels and sheets in the house, washing and air drying every single item, I sorted by what I needed, what I wanted, and what could go.
Of course I need towels for me, towels for Dolly, towels to wash the truck, and most important, new towels for guests. (Have you ever visited a well-off friend and been handed "towels to wash the truck?") Of course you have, so I for one believe it's important to welcome guests with fluffy new towels.
After 3 weeks of doing, I'm finally done. But, what happened to all the rest?
Four, yes 4, tall kitchen waste bags were filled with towels, abundant sheets, new T-shirts, and hangers, which were then carted off to the women's shelter main office.
Sadly, most every town has one, a place where women must go to escape. Can you imagine how difficult that must be?
Beforehand, I called the director of the shelter and asked specifically what they needed. Imagine my surprise when discovering that the most urgent item was towels.
Yes, I could have donated to our local thrift store which supports spay and neuter programs for pets. That thrift store has helped over 2,000 cats and dogs have surgery in both 2015 and 2016. However, I support that shop with other things.
Towels and sheets found a better home.
So as you prepare for holiday guests this year, may I suggest you take inventory and think about what you're thankful for and if there is abundance, perhaps there's something else you can be giving.
Until then, keep stitchin' . . .

3 comments:
This is good information. I collect the shampoo samples and mini soaps wnen I travel and then give them to the same type of organization locally.
I have found this book very, very helpful. Since then, I am careful about what I buy and make sure I have a use for it. After reading this book, it is so much easier to weed things out and feel good about it.
Oh is this the Japanese book I have heard about? I have not read it, but sounds like I should. I have been de-cluttering the house also, well MY stuff LOL. When the kids go through our stuff after we are gone there will be DAD the hoarders stuff and wait where is all of MOMs stuff... love to donate locally - most of our stuff goes to Faith, Hope, Love recycling where they resell and donate $ to local charities and also give college scholarships to local kids. Kudos to your donations!
Post a Comment