Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Quilts are being collected for those who lost everything.


Several friends have asked if I knew of groups collecting quilts for the hurricane victims who lost everything.

Luana Rubin has information on her blog about this project.  I'm sure there are others in quilt guilds large and small across the country who are already working to provide comfort and support to those in need.

You may want to check with your local guild first, or coordinate your own sew-in.  Perhaps you can contact a storm shelter.  Check with your church to see if groups are going to affected areas to help clean up.

After the mismanagement of certain funding and resources not to mention the thievery that went on following Hurricane Katrina, I know you'll want to make sure whatever you donate goes directly to the person/family in need.  That's why I suggest finding a one-on-one contact.

If any non-quilters know of an immediate need of a family who lost everything within their community, feel free to contact the local quilt guild and let them know.

To all quilt guild leaders, if you know of a need, please blog about it so those coordinating efforts can contact you and assist.  We want to help.  

Here is one link with a lot of information on various ways to help, volunteer, or donate:

http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/hurricane-recovery-and-volunteer-resources/


Until then, keep stitchin' . . .

1 comment:

Susan Tidwell said...

great idea, thanks for sharing! and the sox one yesterday too!