Sunday, June 12, 2011

You've heard the one about the round peg . . .

in a square hole ???



Sometimes it applies to hay bale gardening. When there are no square bales to be found, round ones are cheap and delivered to your door, you just have to go with PLAN B.



I planted cucumber, cantalope, and silver thyme. Things that will grow downward (hopefully). I also sprinkled on various flower, lettuce, and spinach seeds.

Hay bale gardening has been around for awhile. You can Google it for more information if you're interested. By next year these bales will be broken down enough, I'll try planting potatoes with it. (My soil is full of clay and rock and needs to be built up over time.)


The hatchlings are growing at an incredible rate. There are 4 tucked into a very tiny nest and their eyes opened this week.


We've been hitting the 90 degree plus mark, so Dolly and I spent some time at Lake Chatuge today. So far she'll only go in up to her knees, but there were a lot of boats making big waves. Perhaps by the end of the summer she'll dive in.

Until then, keep stitchin' . . .

3 comments:

antique quilter said...

would have never thought of planting in a bale of hay!

very creative!
Kathie

Pam said...

That is a pretty cool idea - using a bale of hay as a planter.

Sorry I haven't been by to visit lately - hope it is a little cooler there now.

Quilts And Pieces said...

So Emily planted tomatoes and peppers for me and the chipmonks ate them all already. UGHHHHH